Smithsonian Institution Graduate Fellowship Program 2020 in USA: Applications are now being received for the Smithsonian Institution Graduate Fellowship Program 2020 for a research study in the United States of America (USA). Graduate students at any level up to post-doctoral are invited to apply. The fellowship program offers graduate students, pre-doctoral students, postdoctoral researchers and senior investigators the opportunity to carry out independent researches utilizing the resources of the Institution while members of the Smithsonian professional research staff serve as advisors and hosts to them.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Smithsonian Institution.
Scholarships to be taken at: Smithsonian Institution, USA.
Scholarship Type: Fully Funded Fellowship Program.
Scholarship level: Graduate Student; Pre-doctoral, Doctoral and Postdoctoral
Slots: Not Stated.
Scholarship Worth: Not stated but will be fully funded
Subject Eligibility: You will need to see fellowship description within the post
Country/Candidate Eligibility: No restrictions.
English Language Requirement: Not a requirement. A fellow should be able to speak and write in English though.
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program offers fellowships for research and study in the following fields and encourages applications of an interdisciplinary nature:
- Animal behavior, ecology, and environmental science, including an emphasis on the tropics
- Anthropology, including archaeology, cultural anthropology, linguistics, and physical anthropology
- Astrophysics and astronomy
- Earth sciences and paleobiology
- Evolutionary & systematic biology
- History of science and technology
- History of art, especially American, contemporary, African, and Asian art, twentieth-century American crafts, and decorative arts
- Materials research
- Molecular biology
- Social and cultural history of the United States
These fellowships are offered through the Smithsonian’s Office of Fellowships and Internships, and are administered under the charter of the Institution, 20 U.S. Code section 41 et seq.
Categories of the Smithsonian Institution Graduate Fellowship Program: The fellowships are offered in different categories as explained thus;
- Graduate Student Fellowships: When they apply, students must be formally enrolled in a graduate program of study at a degree-granting institution. Before the appointment begins fellows must still be enrolled and must have completed at least one full-time semester or its equivalent, or have completed the graduate program within the past four months. Graduate Student Fellowships are usually intended for students who have not yet been advanced to candidacy if in a doctoral program.
- Predoctoral Fellowships: Students enrolled in a university as candidates for the Ph.D. or equivalent are eligible for predoctoral fellowships. By the time the appointment begins, the university must approve the undertaking of dissertation research at the Smithsonian Institution and certify that requirements for the doctorate, other than the dissertation, have been met.
- Postdoctoral Fellowships: The doctorate degree must be completed by the time the fellowship begins.
- Senior Fellowships: Applicants must have held a Ph.D. or equivalent for at least 7 years.
- Mo Ibrahim Foundation – AfDB Collaboration Leadership Fellowship Program 2019/2020
- World Bank Group (WBG) 2020 Postgraduate Fellowship Program for Young Africans
- Postgraduate Research Fellowship 2019 at the University of Salzburg in Austria
Application Procedures for the Smithsonian Institution Graduate Fellowship Program 2020 in USA – How-to-Apply:
All applications must be submitted through the Smithsonian Academic Appointment System (SOLAA) found at https://solaa.si.edu. Hint: enter 2020 for the cycle on the application
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program (SIFP) is listed in SOLAA under the Office of Fellowships.
Notification of decisions will be made through SOLAA on March 1st (possible delay due to government shutdown).
Visit: Official Webpage For Further Details.
Application Deadline: November 1, 2019 11:59 PM EST
Also SIGN UP for our updates by email to follow up on such opportunities as this. You will only be enrolled for the updates after you login to your email inbox and confirm the signup.