Mo Ibrahim Foundation – AfDB Collaboration Leadership Fellowship Program 2019/2020: Applications are now being received for the 2020 Leadership Fellowship proudly sponsored by Mo Ibrahim Foundation in collaboration with African Development Bank Group (AfDB). The total funding per fellow participating in this program is put at $110,000 and will be awarded to several young energetic African enthusiasts. Intending fellows must be from any of the 54 African member countries of the African Development Bank Group (AfDB).
Program Type: Fully Funded Fellowship Program
Title: Mo Ibrahim Foundation Leadership Fellowship Program
Company: African Development Bank (AfDB)
Internship duration: One-year fellowship programme
Program Location: Abidjan, Cote D’ivoire.
Slots: Not Stated
Reference ID: ADB/19/155
Consider Apply Also For: World Bank Group (WBG) 2020 Postgraduate Fellowship Program for Young Africans
Program Objectives and Description:
Established in 2006, the Mo Ibrahim Foundation aims to support good governance and great leadership in Africa. The Foundation works to:
- Stimulate debate on good governance;
- Provide criteria by which citizens and governments can measure progress;
- Recognize achievement in African leadership and provide a practical way in which leaders can build positive legacies on the continent when they have left office;
- Support aspiring leaders for the African continent.
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation (the “Foundation”), is financing the Ibrahim Leadership Fellowship position in the African Development Bank (the “Bank”). The Fellow will perform the functions and duties of the position at the headquarters of the Bank in Abidjan, the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire, or in any other location from which the Bank carries out its operations.
The Ibrahim Leadership Fellowship Programme is a selective Fellowship that prepares the next generation of outstanding African leaders by providing them with unique work opportunities at the most senior level of prominent African institutions or multilateral organizations, whose mandate is to improve the economic and social prospects of Africa. The Fellowship allows talented individuals to increase and enhance their professional capacity, with the intention of contributing to the governance and development of their countries thereby creating a pipeline of future African leaders. The Fellow will work with the Bank for this purpose, for a period not exceeding twelve (12) months, and the Foundation will finance the costs associated with the position on the following terms.
Contract Terms and Duration of the Mo Ibrahim Foundation Leadership Fellowship Program:
- The fellow will receive an annual stipend monthly paid by the Bank out of the funds provided by Foundation. The Fellow may be required to travel to different locations on instructions of the Bank. All expenses related to the Fellow’s official mission travel, including travel insurance but excluding travel and shipping costs relating to assumption of duty and repatriation, will be borne by the Bank.
- The Fellow will sign a contract with the Bank before commencement of service.
- For the duration of his/her contract with the Bank, the Fellow will, for all operational purposes and purposes of conduct, be required to comply with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the Bank. Only the Bank and not the Foundation shall be entitled to direct and instruct the Fellow in his/her performance or conduct during the course his/her assignment with the Bank.
- The Fellow is not a regular employee of the Bank, or is not granted a right to employment with the Bank. There is no obligation to hire the Fellow and there is no presumption of future employment at the Bank upon expiration of the twelve (12) month fellowship Term. The Fellow shall not be eligible for recruitment as a staff member of the Bank for a period of 1 (one) year from the date of termination of his/her Fellowship with the Bank or expiration of the 12 month Fellowship term (whichever is sooner).
- The Fellow shall not participate in the Bank’s child educational scheme and staff medical insurance and retirement plans.
- The Mo Ibrahim Foundation will ensure that the Fellow has his/her own medical insurance, child education and retirement plan arrangements.
- The travel and shipping costs for the assumption of duty and repatriation at the end of the appointment will be borne and paid out of the Funds provided by the Foundation.
- EDCTP-AREF sub-Saharan Africa Research Fellowships 2019/2020 for Young Researchers
- Fully Funded Commonwealth Scholarship for International Students, 2019/2020
Program Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- The priority for the 2020 selection of the Mo Ibrahim Fellow is the Bank’s High 5 areas (lighting up and powering Africa; Feeding Africa; Industrializing Africa; Integrating Africa and Improving the quality of life for the people of Africa).
- The key competences are top notch professional experience in private sector and strong policy analytical skills at all levels and ability to run models.
- The Fellowship is for young professionals, mid-career or/and new executives.
The Fellow must:
- Be national of an African country, residing anywhere in the world;
- Not be an active, non-active, retired, or separated staff member of the Bank;
- Not have close family relations with an active or non-active staff member, such as mother, father, sister and brother;
- Government officials, active military personnel and political party leaders are not eligible;
- Age limit is forty (40) years for men and women and forty-five (45) years for women with children;
- Hold a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Economics, , Social Sciences, International Development, Business Administration, Finance, Banking or any discipline relevant to the Bank’s business: such as outstanding academic credentials, relevant work experience, strong communication skills, demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work with others;
- Have at least 7 (seven) years’ work experience relevant to the Bank’s activities;
- Demonstrate proven leadership and consultative skills;
- Have experience in strategic planning, project management and execution ;
- Have experience in formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures;
- Demonstrate strong ability to analyze and interpret financial data;
- Strong writing and analytical skills;
- Demonstrate ability to communicate and interact with officials at all levels of government and to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community;
- Demonstrate ability to motivate teams and simultaneously manage several projects.
Recommended Scholarships Opportunities for You:
- Rotary Foundation 2019 International Scholarship Awards for Development
- Edinburgh Napier University Scholarships in UK for Students of Africa 2019
Application Procedures for the Mo Ibrahim Foundation Leadership Fellowship Program – How-to-Apply:
If you are interested and meet the eligibility criteria stated above, then: Click here to start application
Visit Official Scholarship Page for further information
- Applications will only be considered if they are submitted on line with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating date of birth, nationality, education and relevant experience.
- Applicants must also attach copies of academic transcripts and three letters of recommendation.
- The selection process will include the Bank’s Human Resources Department carrying out an initial vetting of applications to develop a short list of ten (10) applicant files to be further reviewed by the Foundation. A short list of three (3) candidates will be presented to the President of the Bank (or his designate) for final selection.
- Only applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted.
- This position is not a regular position of the African Development Bank. The contract for this assignment is for a period of one (1) year and is not renewable. Funding is provided by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation (MIF).
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Application Deadline: 14th October, 2019.