Applications for the 2020 OAD/DARA Big Data Fellowship Award for Researchers in Africa is open and on-going for researchers in the field of Astronomy and Physics to take their career to a new level by leveraging on the opportunity to enhance and sharpen their skills through collaboration. The Office of Astronomy for Development (OAD) was founded with the core mandate of utilizing the skills, techniques and the instruments of astronomy to enhance and address developmental goals. The OAD was established through a collaboration between the South African National Research Foundation (NFR) and the International Astronomical Union (IAU) with its base at the South African Astronomical Observatory (SAAO) in Cape Town, South Africa. The OAD coordinates annual proposal invitations which has seen over 142 projects winning grants in ninety (90) countries with ten (10) regional offices worldwide. The Development in Africa with Radio Astronomy (DARA) Big Data Project is sponsored by the United Kingdom Newton Fund through the Science and Technologies Facilities Council with the objective of developing big data skills using radio astronomy in different countries of Africa.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): OAD/DARA Big Data
Fellowship Type: Full fellowship
Fellowship level: Postgraduate
Fellowship Worth: Fully Funded
Subject Eligibility: Physics, Astronomy and Related Courses.
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Fellowship is for African Researchers
You can also apply for: Fully Funded YALI Mandela Washington Fellowship 2020 in USA for Young African Leaders
Fellowship Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
- Applicants for the fellowship must possess a master’s degree or Ph.D in Physics, Astronomy or related field.
- Applicant must have prior knowledge of Python Programming.
- Applicants with experience in machine learning and/or data science will have an added advantage.
- Applicants must be able to travel alone internationally, to present hackathons in the AVN (African VLBI Network) countries (Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia and Zambia).
- Applicant must be fluent in English language. Also applicants with fluency in other languages used in Africa will have added advantage.
- Applicants must possess good communication as well as presentation skills.
- Applicants must be fast learners with good organizational skills.
Application Procedure for the 2020 OAD/DARA Big Data Fellowship Award for Researchers in Africa
Applicants are to submit their applications electronically through email. Interested and qualified applicants who meets the required criteria should email a detailed copy of their Curriculum Vitae (with list of publications), motivational statement, and contact information for three references, to OAD Astronomer, Dr. Vanessa McBride ([email protected]).
Other Recommended Post(s)
- Fully Funded Smithsonian Institution Graduate Fellowship Program 2020 in USA
- Postgraduate Research Fellowship 2019 at the University of Salzburg in Austria
- Echoing Green Global Social Entrepreneurial Development Fellowship Program 2020
Other Important notice
The selection process will begin soon after the initial submission deadline of October 31st, 2019. However, if the initial selection process be unsuccessful, applications may then be accepted on an ongoing basis till the position is filled. Correspondence will be sent to shortlisted candidates only. Women and minority candidates are encouraged to apply.