MTN Academic Research and Development Program for Graduate Students 2019: Applications are hereby invited from qualified candidates for the MTN Academic Research Development and Innovation Challenge (MTN ARDIC). An accelerated 6months development program for graduate students is aimed to develop participants on hands-on end-to-end support system.
MTN partnered with Seedstars to provide 6 months virtual acceleration to the top 6 projects pitching at our regional pitching events.
Perks and resources
MTN will provide N1m to the winners as well as enabling platforms, APIs, data, training, mentorship to further develop the ideas towards commercialization.
6 MONTHS ACCELERATION
Seedstars Investment Readiness Program
The Investment Readiness program is a flexible, tech and data centered accelerator designed to support startups with global expertise and insights.
MTN will be hosting an exclusive launch of the event to connect with other organizations supporting MTN’s mission to inspire young Nigerian to become entrepreneurs and foster their journey. Students, entrepreneurs and relevant stakeholders are invited to attend the 3 regional pitching events to pitch for the chance to win.
At the end of the challenge, MTN would provide the top 6 well-motivated Masters/PhD researchers who want to translate their research ideas into high-impact innovations with enabling platforms, APIs, data, training, mentorship and 6 months acceleration with Seedstars to further develop the ideas towards commercialization.
Basic Requirements and Eligibility for the Program:
To be considered for selection in the MTNN ARDIC, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must agree to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to be drawn between relevant parties (MTN and other Implementing Partners) at relevant stages of the challenge.
- Must have commenced and been studying the chosen research area for at least 8 months. Students who have completed their research study but are yet to graduate from their universities are also eligible to apply.
- Must be a registered current postgraduate (Masters or Doctorate) student of an accredited Nigerian university or research institute.
- Must have received confirmation from faculty and commenced research in one of the focus areas below.
- Must be interested in applying the findings from his/her research to solve practical socio-economic challenges in Nigeria.
- Must provide evidence of rightful ownership of the research topic/idea submitted for consideration.
- Fully Funded Google Faculty Research Awards 2020 in computer science & engineering (Worth $150,000)
- Shell Nigeria Graduate Student Research Internship 2019/2020
- University of Cambridge Partnered Prince of Wales Global Sustainability Fellowship Program 2019
Qualifying Research Areas
ECONOMIC & COMMERCIAL FOCUS
- Geo-marketing and Community churn modeling
- Digital Media Optimization and real-time planning model
- Use of GIS/Satellite Data for market sizing, characterization and SME clustering/valuation
- Econometric modeling and Advanced Scenario Analysis for Telco industry using macro-economic data
- Media Optimization and Attribution Modeling of media advertising spend
- Market footprint optimization for retail
INNOVATION FOR HIGH SOCIAL IMPACT
- AgriTech with emphasis on use of technology for agricultural yield optimization, storage and preservation
- MedTech with emphasis on malaria prevention tech-solutions, efficient drug distribution, maternal-infant & child mortality reduction
- Customer Complaints modeling using new media data and NLP
- Innovative Biometrics for multi-sectoral customer identification
- Rural Telephone coverage technology and strategies
- High scalable impact research in Block Chain for Telco and FinTech
- Use of GIS and customer migration data for Health/Epidemiological and Smart City planning
If you are interested and qualified then;