Africa Prize for Engineering Fellowship for African Scholars, 2020: Applications are hereby invited from qualified applicants from Africa to apply for the Engineering fellowships. The Africa Prize encourages ambitious and talented sub-saharan African engineering professionals from all disciplines to apply their skills to develop appropriate solutions to challenges facing the African continent. Substantial commercialization support is awarded to innovative applicants covering a six-month period of training and mentoring. Finalists are invited to present at an event their proposal and winners awarded their prizes.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): Royal Academy of Engineering Innovation
Fellowship to be taken at: Africa
Fellowship Type: Grant support
Fellowship level: Note stated
Fellowship Worth: $25,000
Subject Eligibility: Major research fields in engineering
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Fellowship is for African students
You may also like:2020 International Freshman Scholarship to Study in America
Fellowship Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Applicants must be individuals or small groups.
- Individual applicants must be citizens of a country within sub-Saharan Africa*. For teams of two or more, the lead applicant must be a citizen of a country within sub-Saharan Africa.
- The innovation must be based in a country in sub-Saharan Africa*.
- Applicants must have an engineering innovation, though are not required to be an engineering graduate or student.
- Applicants must provide a letter of support from a university or research institution, this can be as simple as stating an individual studied at that institution. If applicants are not affiliated with a university, another document proving the status of your organisation or innovation, such as a document of incorporation or similar, can be used.
- Industrial researchers and establishments are not eligible.
- The lead applicant must be over the age of 18. There is no upper age limit.
- The applicant’s innovation can be any new product, technology or service, based on research in engineering defined in its broadest sense to encompass a wide range of fields, including: agricultural technology, biotechnology, chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer science, design engineering, electrical and electronic engineering, ICT, materials science, mechanical engineering, and medical engineering. If you are in any doubt that your area of expertise would be considered engineering, then please contact the Academy to discuss your application.
- Applicants should have achieved the development of, and be in the early stages of commercialising, an engineering innovation that:
- Will bring social and/or environmental benefits to a country/countries in sub-Saharan Africa
- Has strong potential to be replicated and scaled up
- Is accompanied by an ambitious but realistic business plan which has strong commercial viability
Other Opportunities for you:
- Call for Application: 2020 Machel-Mandela Fellowship Programme for Africans (Fully Funded)
- 2020 CTR Next Generation Fellowship at University of Cambridge
Application Procedure for the Africa Prize for Engineering Fellowship for African Scholars, 2020
Applicants are to submit their applications must via the online grants system, applicants should ensure they read the guidance notes before submitting their application.
Application Deadline: July 20, 2020