The 2020 Microsoft PhD Scholarship Programme in Europe, Middle East and Africa is ongoing for interested students who wish to further their academic career. The Microsoft PhD Scholarship Programme comprises a yearly bursary up to a maximum of three years for PhD supervisors and students to do collaborative research projects with Microsoft Research Cambridge. The programme was launched in 2004 to support collaborative research and it has supported more than 200 PhD students from over 18 countries and 51 institutions. Those awarded this scholarship has the benefit of doing an internship in Microsoft Research laboratories at the sole discretion of Microsoft Research. This internship includes working on a project alongside team members from Microsoft researchers. This comes with internship stipends together with the scholarship bursary.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Microsoft Research
Scholarship Type: Full Scholarship
Scholarship level: Postgraduate
Scholarship Worth: Tuition fees, fixed hardware and conference allowance
Subject Eligibility: All Data AI, Cloud Infrastructure, Confidential Computing, Future of Work, Game Intelligence, Healthcare Intelligence, Biological Computation.
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Scholarship is for students from Europe, Middle East and Africa
Scholarship Selection and Eligibility Criteria
- Applications are to be made by the PhD supervisors and not by the student. The Supervisor must have been nominated by Microsoft Research before the submission deadline
- Applications from institutions in Europe, the Middle East and Africa will be accepted
- The application will be considered from institutes who agrees to the terms and conditions of the PhD Term Sheet and EPSRC Term Sheet where appropriate and there will be no negotiation once the selections have been made and communicated.
- Applicants must be nominated by a Microsoft supervisor to be eligible to submit an application.
- The proposed research must be closely related to the research themes of Microsoft Research in Cambridge.
To meet the selection criteria, the research proposal should be able to address the under-listed points:
- Evidence showing that the research supervisor is suitable to supervise a PhD student for the proposed research project. To this regard, the supervisor’s recent and relevant publications will be evaluated. The URLs of the relevant publications should be included for the reviewer’s attention.
- How the proposed research relates to the Microsoft Research Cambridge lab’s current research themes. Evidence showing that the laboratory or department offers a conducive and suitable enabling environment for research in the proposed area.
- Basis for the research. This includes the motivation and brief state-of-the-art, including key references.
- Hypothesis under investigation and main aims.
- Research strategy with significant milestones if identified.
- Research methods to be employed. This should include the main techniques, experiments and trials.
- Details of any collaboration with other departments/research bodies if any.
- Expected results
- Description of the department that the applicant works (e.g. number of faculty and PhD students in the department)
Other Recommended Post(s):
- UTS Science Postgraduate Scholarship 2020/2021in Australia for International Students
- Apply for the AAUW Career Development Grants Awards 2019/2020
Application Procedure for the 2020 Microsoft PhD Scholarship Programme in Europe, Middle East and Africa
- All application forms that includes the contact details of the main supervisor together with a named secondary supervisor who will be willing to be involved in the project if the main supervisor leaves should be completed online.
- Funding requirements
- Research proposal having maximum six (6) A4 pages in 10-point font, including references. Accepted formats: plain text (.txt), .pdf, or Microsoft Office Word (.doc or .docx) only
Application deadline: 21st September, 2019
You should also SIGN UP NOW to follow up on this scholarship and get updates on other fully funded scholarships in your inbox. Remember to login to your email and confirm signup.