2020 John S. Knight Journalism Fellowship in USA ($80,000 Stipend): John S. Knight is pleased to announce the 2020/21 JSK Journalism Fellowships at Stanford University, USA for eligible and qualified applicants. Fellows will craft and develop practical solutions that address the flaws in how journalism industry serves communities of colour in the United States. The John S. Knight Community Impact Fellows will work remotely on projects to address information gaps in communities.
The opportunity is open to journalists with legacy and digital-native news organizations, independent journalists, and people in communities who are already working on information projects. If you are currently employed, you will not be expected or encouraged to leave your organization. Ideally, your project should be endorsed and supported by your employer. Though fellows will work remotely, they must demonstrate the ability and desire to work collaboratively and respectfully with people with a range of ideas and perspectives.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): John S. Knight
Fellowship to be taken at: Stanford University, USA
Fellowship level: Any level
Fellowship Worth: $50,000 -$80,000
Subject Eligibility: Journalism
Country/Candidate Eligibility: The fellowship is for international applicants.
You may also like: Stanford GSB Research Fellows Program for International Students, 2020
Fellowship Eligibility and Selection Criteria: To be considered for the 2020 John S. Knight Journalism Fellowship in USA ($80,000 Stipend), applicants are to meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and must possess at least three years of full-time professional experience. Applicants may not be required to have a college degree.
- Applicants are considered in the following categories: Journalists employed by a news organization or freelance journalists; Journalism entrepreneurs and innovators; People in communities who are already working on information projects.
- Applicants who are successful will be expected to adhere to the Stanford Code of Conduct and to a specific JSK Code of Conduct.
- Successful fellows will be required to publicly share the work and insights they gain throughout the year. They will be expected to write at least one medium post quarterly outlining their progress.
Benefits of a Fellowship
- Fellows who remain employed with their organizations during the fellowship year will receive a stipend of $50,000 paid in monthly instalments. They may request additional support for health care insurance and project expenses subject to JSK review.
- JSK fellows who are independent will receive a stipend of $70,000 paid in monthly instalments, plus an additional $10,000 for the year to cover health care insurance and project expenses.
- Connection to the vast JSK alumni network.
- Eligibility to apply in future years for a residential JSK Fellowship.
- Digital access to Stanford’s libraries and other resources.
- Membership in the Stanford University community, with access to strategic support from Stanford and industry experts.
- Fully funded University of Sheffield Computer Science Scholarship
- 2020 Stanford Biodesign Innovation Fellowship in the United States
Application Procedures for the 2020 John S. Knight Journalism Fellowship in USA ($80,000 Stipend)
Applicants are to visit the official application website to start their online application. They will be required to complete their application before the application deadline. Any questions or clarifications should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: 22nd July, 2020