Call for Application- Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP) 2020: Application is now open for interested and eligible candidates for the Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP) 2020 to be hosted at the University of Pretoria in South Africa.
The ASLP is an initiative of the University of Pretoria in partnership with the Global Young Academy, funded by the Robert Bosch Stiftung. It serves early- to mid-career researchers in basic and applied science, engineering, social sciences, arts and the humanities.
Program Title: Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP) 2020
Program Location: University of Pretoria. South Africa.
Program Type: Professional Research Fellowship.
Country/Candidate Eligibility: African Researchers/Academics.
About the Program/Program Aim (Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP) 2020):
The programme aims to grow mid-career African academics in the areas of thought leadership, team development, engagement and collaboration, with the intention of enabling them to solve the complex issues that face both Africa and the global community.
The leadership programme:
- Identifies early- to mid-career academics who have demonstrated leadership potential and an interest in developing key leadership skills
- Supports them to apply the acquired skills to projects that are relevant to the academic development on the continent and its impact on society
- Creates a network of academic leaders on the continent, spanning not only across countries, but also across disciplinary boundaries
- Advances a curriculum for academic leadership development, which can be utilised in institutions in Africa and beyond.
The Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP) 2020 also packaged with training segments which will cover:
- Core elements of collective leadership
- Creative and systems thinking
- Development of effective networks
- Stakeholder engagement for change
- Maximising the efficiency and impact of collaborative efforts
- Advanced dialogue and communication skills
- Effective problem solving and decision making
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
The following criteria are used as a guide for the nomination and selection of fellows:
- A PhD degree or equivalent qualification;
- A faculty or a continuing research position at a research institution;
- Active in research and teaching at an African institution of higher education or research;
- A sustained record of outstanding scientific outputs;
- Interest in translating and communicating the results of their work for impact in society;
- Demonstrated leadership ability in research and beyond;
- Interest in the role of research in addressing complex issues affecting society;
- Interest in collaborations across disciplines and sectors (e.g. industry, government, etc.);
- Commitment to participate in all the activities of the fellowship; and
- Intent to share what is learned in the programme with their broader networks.
Recommended Opportunities for You:
- Fully Funded Commonwealth Scholarship for International Students, 2019/2020
- Rhodes Global Post Graduate Scholarship Scheme at Oxford University
- Koftech Scholarships Award for Africans to Study in South Africa
Application Procedures for the Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP) 2020 at University of Pretoria – How-to-Apply:
Interested and eligible candidates will be required to submit their application online through the online link given. All applicants have to provide two support letters by academic referees (details are provided in the application form). Full details of application guide should be obtained at the official website.
Application Deadline: 20 December 2019