FAO/Zhejiang University Global Agricultural Challenge 2020: The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in collaboration with Zhejiang University, are co-organizing the 2020 Global Agrilnno Challenge to harness innovation solutions which will help respond to the challenges of distribution and sales of agri-food products.
The challenge understands that innovation, digital technology and entrepreneurship have become an important tool in accelerating and transforming of agri-food systems, by increasing productivity and effectiveness all geared towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Programme Sponsor(s): FAO/Zhejiang University
Programme to be taken in: China
Programme Worth: See Benefits
Programme Slot: Not specified
Programme Thematic Area: Agri-food Systems
Programme Eligibility and Selection Criteria: To be considered for the FAO/Zhejiang University Global Agricultural Challenge 2020, applicants must ensure that they meet the following criteria:
- The Global Agrilnno Challenge 2020 is open to all youth with digital innovations or ideas for agri-food sector. English and Chinese are the two working languages during the Global Agrilnno Challenge 2020.
The selection criteria for the final competition in China are as follows:
- The team has registered as a company or the project has been operational for 2-5 years.
- The theme of this year is distribution and sales of agri-food products.
- The team needs to harness digital technology to solve a problem relating to agri-food products distribution and sales.
- Teams with female agripreneurs are highly encouraged.
- One leader of the group must be below 35 years old.
- Each team should be composed of minimum 2 people, maximum 5 people to participate on-site.
- The feasibility and ability of the technology to solve the problem of the distribution and sales of agri-food products must be clearly presented.
- The possibility of replication or scaling-up the business model must be demonstrated
Application Procedures for the FAO/Zhejiang University Global Agricultural Challenge 2020
The team leader needs to fill the Application Form, with the Digital Development Solution (in PPT format) and a video, sending these to firstname.lastname@example.org and copying email@example.com by 17 October 2020 (24:00 CEST).
The documentation to submit should include (in English):
- Application Form you may scan QR code on item 8 or download through attachment to get the application form）
- Digital Development Solution (PowerPoint of max 12 slides, up to 250 words per slide, Microsoft YaHei Font, fontsize not less than 16)
- Summary of the solution (up to 250 words)
- Mission, vision, values of the project (the type of agriculture activity/sub-sector targeted)
- Problem identification
- Technical model
- Timing justification (Why is this moment the best time?)
- Business plan
- Financial situation (capital raised, capital needed, revenue analysis)
- Phased development planning
- 1-2 minutes long video explaining:
- Why should your team be selected? Answer this question in a 1-2 minutes long video. Upload the video online to a video sharing platform (YouTube, Google Cloud, Youku, Baidu Cloud or other) and share the address of the link.
- Two-day professional development on around your team’s solution through an approach of co-creation with other young agripreneurs/innovators and experienced experts worldwide. All expenses for attending this final competition in China will be covered, including a) travel expenses: round-trip flight and/or train; local transportation fee (taxi/bus/subway); b) accommodation and meals; c) visa application fees as applicable for international participants.
- The access to open data sets from FAO and other partners.
- Advices from experienced experts from UN, international organizations, the private sector and academia, and the chance to have a dialogue with high-level representatives from leading companies and organizations.
- The chance to meet top angel investors from venture capital funds and business leaders in agri-food sector who may invest in your solutions.
- The chance to build your global network in smart agriculture with a multitude of stakeholders.
- The top winner teams will receive seed funding (the amount will be communicated at later stage).
- The top winner teams will have the opportunity to join a one-week agro-bootcamp and World Study Tour (training, travel and accommodation covered) in 2021 to visit FAO and meet world leading companies and organizations in the agri-food innovation sector.
Application Deadline: 17 October, 2020