DAAD In-Region Molecular Biology and Genetics Scholarship at Stellenbosch University: Applications are requested from African students for the 2021/2022 DAAD In-region Scholarship Programme at the Stellenbosch University, Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics for a fully funded Master’s and PhD studies.
The scholarships are targeted at nationals from Sub-Saharan Africa (exception of South Africans) with a bachelor’s degree if applying for master’s degree or with a master’s degree if applying for a doctoral (PhD) degree. DAAD In-region programmes in collaboration with Stellenbosch University is offering several master’s and PhD scholarships to deserving applicants for the 2022 intake.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Scholarship to be taken at: Stellenbosch University
Scholarship level: Masters and PhD
Scholarship Worth: See Scholarship benefits
Subject Eligibility: Molecular Biology and Human Genetics
Country/Candidate Eligibility: The Scholarship is for students from Sub-Saharan Africa.
DAAD In-Region Scholarship at Stellenbosch University 2022 | DETAILS
The programme aims at fostering strong and internationally oriented higher education in Sub-Saharan Africa and scholarships are granted to individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching as well as in research at any institution of higher learning in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
To be considered for the DAAD In-Region Scholarship at Stellenbosch University, applicants are to meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with at least a second class upper division from a recognized university.
- Applicants must clearly show motivation and strong commitment to the program.
- Applicants must possess thorough knowledge of the language of instruction and have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application.
- Applicants must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African country excluding South Africa.
- Applicants should generally be a) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, b) staff member of a public university, c) from the public sector, d) Alumni of the DAFI program.
- Annual tuition fees (regular charge amount for Master’s and PhD applicants).
- Annual study and research allowance- 460 EUR for Masters candidates and 920 EUR for PhD candidates.
- Printing allowance- 400 EUR for masters and 800 EUR for PhD candidates.
- Monthly scholarship for accommodation and food- 500 EUR for PhD and 450 EUR for Masters candidates.
- Travel allowance as will be specified in the award letters
- Health insurance.
How-to-Apply: The application process for the 2022 DAAD In-Region Scholarship at Stellenbosch University involves two steps.
First Step: Applicants must apply for their studies at the Stellenbosch University using the contacts and the method prescribed by the university. The Stellenbosch University will screen, pre-select according to DAAD criteria and short-list applicants. It is important to complete this step earlier before the deadline.
Second Step: The Stellenbosch University will provide the shortlisted candidates with the link to the DAAD-Portal. Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit a DAAD application.
Documents to be submitted in English includes:
- DAAD Application form duly filled in
- Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form including a list of publications if applicable.
- Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master 1, PhD 2).
- Letter of admission for the host university/ institution/ network
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
- Letter of motivation
- Copy of passport
- If applicable, information on the UNHCR registration as refugee.
PhD candidates have to submit additional documents to include:
Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor; Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and timetable; Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal).
Application Deadline: June 15, 2021