Young Africa Works IITA Project & Training Program : The Young Africa Works-IITA project in partnership with MasterCard foundation is currently seeking applicants within Kaduna, Kano, and Lagos, to build their capacity to be trained and work within the supported value chain of rice, soybean, maize, cowpea, poultry, vegetable, mushroom, groundnut, fish and livestock.
This project is designed to advance agribusiness opportunity to over 40,000 Nigerian youths especially women. It focuses on providing skills development, decent employment and entrepreneurship opportunity for youth to secure dignified and fulfilling work in agri-food value chains for the next five years.
Program Sponsor(s): International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Program to be taken at: International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Program Type: Capacity training
Program Worth: Free training on various agribusiness skills
Available Slots: 40,000
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Nigerians youths
Young Africa Works IITA Project & Training Program 2020 | Details
The programme has identified several enterprises and successful agribusiness models attractive to youths. This will guide the intended beneficiaries to produce a bankable business plan at the end of this training track. The Young Africa Works-IITA project has partnered with financial institution such as Sterling Bank, NIRSAL to facilitate access to sources of finance and credit. Access to post training support will be facilitated by the project.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Candidates are expected to attain the following eligibility criteria for the Young Africa Works IITA Project & Training Program;
- Applicants must be Nigerian youths.
- Aged 18 – 35 years
- Must be ordinarily resident1 in the respective municipal area (and live within 5km radius of a cluster)
- Must have attained at least Junior Secondary School 3 (JSS3) for entrepreneurship track & a diploma for employment track
- Willingness to commit at least 6 weeks for the training
- Must demonstrate passion for agriculture.
- Interest in the project focus commodities
- Must have access to a functional mobile phone
- Affiliation to a registered association is an added advantage.
Scholarship Value and Benefits
The values of the Young Africa Works IITA Project & Training Program include:
- Over 40,000 Nigerian youths to be trained.
- Youth-sensitive loan and agribusiness support programs
How-to-Apply: All Interested Nigerian youths are required to click HERE to apply.
Limited Forms are also available at:
- Lagos State Agricultural Development Authority, 371 Oko-Oba, Agege Motor Rd, Agege, Lagos
- IITA office, National Agricultural Extension and Research Liaison Services (NAERLS) office complex, Zaria Kaduna State.
- International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Sabo Bakin Zuwo Road, Kano State. Application period: November 12th to December 12th, 2020
- A follow up interview may be conducted for the final selection of beneficiaries to be considered for the training.
Application Deadline: Closed