Wellcome International Training Fellowships for Postgraduate Scholars: The Wellcome International Training Fellowships programme is open for scholars from low and middle-income countries to apply for an opportunity to be a part of the training fellowships for postgraduate or postdoctoral level programmes. The fellowship is intended to support researchers and also to improve health by helping great ideas to thrive. The scholar will be expected to be a basic, clinical or public health researcher. The duration of the fellowship is for 3 years.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Wellcome Trust
Scholarship to be taken at: Any low-or middle income countries (apart from India)
Scholarship Type: Full Fellowship
Scholarship level: Postgraduate or Postdoctoral
Scholarship Worth: £150,000 to £300,000 for salary, fees and research expenses
Subject Eligibility: Clinical, Public Health
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Institutions in low-or middle income countries (apart from India)
English Language Eligibility: Not stated
Also check other opportunities:Mo Ibrahim Foundation – AfDB Collaboration Leadership Fellowship Program 2019/2020
Scholarship Eligibility and Selection Criteria: Applicants are to ensure that they meet the following criteria before applying.
- Applicants are from a low- or middle income country
- Applicant’s proposed research area tackles a health priority in a low- or middle-income country.
- Applicant must undertake a guided period of research to consolidate on existing experience and explore new areas of research.
- Applicants must have a PhD and be an early-career researcher or have a degree in a relevant subject and some initial research experience or be a clinically qualified doctor.
- Applicants without a PhD are expected to start one at the same time as the fellowship. The PhD programme should be in the applicant’s local academic organization.
- Applicant’s research proposal should be within the sponsor’s science remit and should focus on a health priority in a low- or middle-income country.
- Applicant must be based at an eligible host organization in a low- or middle-income country for the research project. Host organizations are to guarantee that there will be space and resources needed from the start date to the end date of the award. Trainings can be done at centres of excellence regionally or internationally.
- Applicants must have a sponsor who is a head of department or equivalent in the applicant’s host institution who will guarantee that you will have a post for the duration of the fellowship.
- Applicant’s supervisor must be responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the research project. Also there should be additional supervisors for each period that applicants spend outside his/her host organization.
Other Recommended Post(s):
Application Procedure for the Wellcome International Training Fellowships for Postgraduate Scholars
- All applications must be submitted through the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker (WTGT).
- Applicants are encouraged to discuss their application with their sponsor and research supervisor for advice on the intellectual quality and importance of the research project.
- Applicants are to submit preliminary application through the grant tracker.
- Review or preliminary application is performed by the Wellcome Trust and a decision given within four weeks of the preliminary application deadline. If suitable, the applicant will be invited to submit a full application.
- Submission of full application to applicant’s host institution
- Applicant’s host institution reviews the application and sends to Wellcome Trust Grant.
- The Applicant’s application undergoes external peer review by expert reviewers.
- There shall be a scientific review and shortlisting by the International Interview Committee. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted at least four weeks before the interview.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview and be asked to make a short presentation.
Visit: Official Scholarship Webpage
Application Deadline: 21st November, 2019