The Fifth Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (Rsif) PhD Scholarships Call for Rwanda and Nigeria Nationals is now open for applications from suitably qualified candidates interested in receiving international-quality PhD training and to conduct PhD research in a PASET Priority Thematic Area.
It is funded by contributions from African governments, the World Bank and the Government of Korea and facilitated by the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) in Nairobi, Kenya.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): African governments, World Bank & Government of Korea
Host Institution(s): PASET
Scholarship Worth: Fully-funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: Rwanda and Nigeria Nationals
You May Also Like: Ban Ki-moon Global Citizen Scholarship Program 2023 || Fully Funded
The Fifth Rsif PhD Scholarships Call for Rwanda and Nigeria Nationals | DETAILS
The Partnership for skills in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology (PASET) is an African-led initiative with the goal of strengthening skills in the Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology to further socio-economic transformation in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA).
Rsif aims to train quality PhD students and post-doctoral researchers to address the human resource gap of highly qualified specialists in the fields of applied sciences, engineering, and technology (ASET) and to contribute to improving research and innovation capacities in those fields in SSA. Rsif also supports the strengthening of research and innovation ecosystems at selected African Host Universities (AHU) by providing funding through competitive grants. Rsif supports training, research and innovation in five Priority Thematic Areas:
- ICT including big data and artificial intelligence
- Food security and agri-business
- Minerals, mining and materials engineering
- Energy including renewables and
- Climate change.
The specific objectives of Rsif are to:
- Create a stock of highly skilled scientists, professionals and innovators in ASET areas.
- Identify and nurture young talented Africans who wish to further their studies in ASET fields where expertise is needed most.
- Address imbalances in the number of women and disadvantaged groups in ASET fields in Africa.
- Build African university capacity to provide relevant ASET training and to ensure continued investment in scaling up ASET education and workforce.
To be eligible for the Fifth Rsif PhD Scholarships Call for Rwanda and Nigeria Nationals, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Applicants must Be a citizen of Rwanda and Nigeria.
- Have a relevant master’s degree in one of the fields of study.
- Meet the specific admission requirements of the Rsif African Host University where they would like to pursue a PhD.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are 35 years of age and below.
- Be willing to enrol full-time in a PhD program at an Rsif AHU in the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Should not be holding another PhD scholarship when applying to the Rsif PhD scholarship.
- Be willing to spend 6-12 months in a ‘sandwich’ training at an international partner university, research institute or private company.
- Demonstrate that their research goals are well aligned to the Rsif Priority Thematic Areas and contribute to Africa’s development.
RSIF PhD Scholars will receive the following benefits:
- The Rsif PhD Scholarship covers university tuition and related fees, competitive stipend to cover living expenses, travel, medical insurance, and research costs.
- Rsif PhD scholars will be supported to spend 6 -12 months in a ‘sandwich’ training at an international partner university, research institute or private company.
- Rsif PhD scholars become part of a growing network of emerging leaders in ASET fields in SSA.
- Rsif PhD scholars will have access to Rsif competitive research grants upon completion of their PhD.
See Also: University of York GREAT Scholarships for International Students 2023
How-to-Apply: To be considered for the Fifth Rsif PhD Scholarships Call for Rwanda and Nigeria Nationals, Applications are accepted through icipe’s online application platform. Applications submitted by email or in hardcopy will not be accepted.
Please address any questions to: The Manager, Regional Coordination Unit (RCU), icipe Rsifscholarships@icipe.org.
Application Deadline: May 26, 2023