Master students, PhD candidates and postdoctoral researchers in eligible subjects, regardless of citizenship, are invited to apply for the Nordic Scholarship Programme 2021. The scholarships are awarded to assist postgraduate researches in Africa-oriented studies.
A 1-month stay at the Nordic Africa Institute in order to facilitate use of the Institute’s library collections on contemporary Africa, and to create links to existing research at the Institute. The scholarships are awarded once per year.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Nordic Africa Institute
Scholarship to be taken at: Nordic Africa Institute, Uppsala
Scholarship Type: Research Support
Scholarship level: Postgraduate (Masters, PhD, Post-doctoral)
Scholarship Slots: Several (not stated).
Scholarship Worth: See scholarships benefits (below)
Subject Eligibility: Africa-oriented studies/research in Social Sciences and Humanities
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Global eligibility
Who can apply for the Nordic Scholarship Programme?
- Master students, PhD candidates and postdoctoral researchers pursuing Africa-oriented studies/research in Social Sciences and Humanities and affiliated to universities and research centers in Sweden, Finland and Iceland are eligible candidates, regardless of citizenship.
- Africa-oriented journalists and writers within the discipline of Social Sciences and Humanities in Sweden, Finland and Iceland can also apply for a scholarship.
Financial support and other benefits according the scholarship programme include;
- Travelling expenses for the least expensive fare from residential address (in Sweden, Finland and Iceland) to Uppsala and return.
- The scholarship holders are provided with a desk and computer in a shared office at the Institute and free accommodation centrally located in Uppsala.
- The scholarship also includes a subsistence allowance of SEK 300 per day and free photocopying up to a maximum of 1,000 copies.
Please note: The scholarship does not include health care insurance or other insurances.
Application Procedures for the Nordic Africa Institute Scholarship Programme for Postgraduate Research 2021
Interested candidates for the Nordic Scholarship Programme 2021 should click here to start application. Applications are primarily evaluated based on the outline of the research project.
The application should contain:
- Application form
- Up-to-date CV, including list of publications (if any).
- Outline of research project, 3-5 pages:
- Objective of the research project: The research topic should be clearly identified and contextualized within its academic discipline.
- Method and time frame: Describe how the research project will be accomplished, state the research method, data gathering techniques and time frame.
- Theoretical explication: A brief indication of the theoretical basis of the research project must be included.
- The applicant should clarify what part of the research project he/she will work upon during the stay at the Nordic Africa Institute.
- Reference: A signed letter of support from the applicant’s supervisor or head of department, which confirms current affiliation and field of research. (Scanned versions of signed support letters can be emailed by the applicant.)
Application Deadline: selection process to be finialized by the end of November the latest