Next Generation Social Science Research Awards: Applications are invited from qualified African students who intends to carry out a doctoral study to apply for Next generation Social Science Research Awards 2021. The programme supports interdisciplinary social science research capacity in peace, security and development.
The program operates to strengthen tertiary education by creating a pipeline for the development of faculty members and research communities. There are up to four different types of the Next Generation Social Science Award for Africans.
Programme Sponsor(s): Social Science Research Council
Programme to be taken in: Africa
Programme Level: PhD
Programme Worth: See Benefits
Programme Slot: Not specified
Country Eligibility: Countries in sub-Saharan Africa
Next Generation Social Science Research Awards 2021 | Details
About the Programme
The Social Science Research Council offers support for the completion of doctoral degrees and promotion of next generation social science research in eligible countries. The programme has four different components described below:
Doctoral Dissertation Completion Fellowship: The programme supports a one-year leave from teaching and administrative responsibilities by awarding stipend and other benefits to the candidates.
Benefits: US$10,000 stipend, two workshops, capacity development on scholarly writing.
Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Fellowship: Support PhD students working on developing a doctoral research proposal as well as support students who just completed their master’s degree and seek to enrol in a PhD program.
- Benefits: Up to US$3,000 and two workshops for students
Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowship: Supports 6-12 months of dissertation research costs on a topic related to peace, security and development.
- Benefits: US$15,000 for research costs, two workshops and capacity development on scholarly writing including academic publication.
Post-Doctoral Writing Fellowship: Supports up to six months of completing an article or book manuscript on peace, security and development.
- Benefits: Up to US$3,000.
You may also be interested in: Fellowship Programmes at the French Institutes for Advanced Study 2020/21
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible for the award, applicants must ensure that they meet the following criteria:
- Must be citizens of any sub-Saharan African country.
- Be enrolled and working towards a PhD in an accredited university, or affiliated to an institution in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda except candidates applying for the Post-Doctoral Writing Fellowship who must have obtained a doctoral degree.
- The projects must be an innovative research in peace, security, development.
- Must be committed to their research in peace, security and development.
How-to-Apply: Applicants for the Next Generation Social Science Research Awards 2021 must submit all their applications using the Online application portal for the different types of award before the application deadline as late applications will not be accepted.
Application Deadline: Closed