The Nigerian National Identification Number (NIN) is a unique identification number issued by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC). It is expected that every Nigerian is enrolled and issued the NIN for the purpose of all round identification. In recent times and maybe in the nearest future, this number is to be linked with every individual activities including banking transactions.
Recall that the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) had earlier issued a two-week ultimatum to telecommunication operators to block all SIM cards that are not registered with the National Identity Numbers; although there is an intervention by the senate to extend it.
In this post we have outlined practical ways of retrieving and linking your National Identification Number (NIN) via the USSD code on the major network operators or through other online platforms.
National Identification Number Registration
For those who are yet to enrol for the NIMC’s NIN, it is important to do so as to meet whatever deadline is fixed. To get enrolled;
- Walk into any NIMC’s offices nationwide or check the pre-enrolment portal
- You can also register through other licensed agents
How to Retrieve NIN Number Using USSD
If you are already enrolled for the National Identification Number, you follow these steps to check your NIN number on your mobile.
- Open your phone dialler and dial *346#
- Type ‘1’ to choose NIN Retrieval Option if you are dialling from the phone number you used in registering you NIN.
- Type ‘2’ to choose NIN Search if you have lost your number, you will be required to input some of your registration details
- Once you have retrieved, congratulations
How to Link Your NIN Number on MTN, Airtel, 9mobile, Glo
You can link your national identification number on these network operators as follows;
Link NIN to MTN:
Mtn users can link their NIN to their line in any of these three ways
- Online registration portal via https://mtnonline.com/nin
- USSD code: Dial *785# or
- Via myMTNApp, get it on Google Play or Apple Store
- Complete the NIN linking form by entering your name, phone number, NIN, and email address.
- Submit the form as soon as you’re done.
- Wait for feedback from the network.
Link NIN to AIRTEL:
For Airtel users, to link NIN to your line;
- Visit the online registration link via www.airtel.com.ng/nin
- dial *121*1# on your Airtel line to submit your NIN
- Type 1 for “NIN Capture” and send.
- Enter your 11-digit NIN and send.
- Wait for the message confirming your submission.
- If you get an error, just wait for some time and try again.
Link NIN to 9MOBILE:
To link NIN to your 9mobile line, simply;
- Dial the USSD code *200*8# and follow the prompts to submit your details;
- Visit 9mobile.com.ng/nin to submit online
- Click on ‘Verify and Link your NIN now’
- Fill the required information and submit
Link NIN to Glo:
To link NIN to your Glo line, you can either;
- Visit the online registration portal via www.gloworld.com/ng/nin to fill your information and link. Or
- Dial *109*yourNIN# (e.g *109*90123456789#) and follow the prompts to submit your details Or
- By SMS – Simply text your 11-digits NIN number to 109 (e.g 90123456789 to 109) and wait for reply.
Frequently Asked Questions on NIMC/NIN Registration [New Update]
Some of the frequently asked questions about NIN registration has been answered in this section as follows;
Is NIN the same as National ID Card?
One NIMC registration will end up issuing the both. But, it is important to note that the 11-digit National Identification Number (NIN) is not the same thing as the National e-ID Card which is a physical token. The NIN can be used on its own for digital identity verification without the e-ID card.
How do I Register NIN/NIMC Card?
NIMC registration can be done online and finished at physical NIMC enrolment centres. Or you can walk directly into any the enrolment centres to start and finish your registration.
Where do I find NIMC enrolment Centre?
There are designated centres country-wide and in overseas locations where you can easily work in to register enrol for NIN. To find NIMC enrolment Centres near you, visit the NIMC webpage and click on your state or Diaspora location for a comprehensive list of centres across the location.
How do I get NIMC Registration Form?
If you are looking for NIN registration form online you will need to download the pre-enrolment form. You can download NIMC registration form through this link.
What are the Requirements for NIN Registration?
To enrol as an adult, walk into the nearest NIMC Enrolment Centre with your BVN if you have one and any of the following required Original and Valid supporting documents:
- Old National ID Card
- Driver’s License
- Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- Nigerian International passport
- Certificate of Origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff ID card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff ID card
- School ID Card (private/public)
- Tax Clearance certificate
- Valid immigration documents
When is NIN Registration Deadline?
The deadline for registering and linking NIN to your phone lines has now been extended to 9th February, 2021 for all subscribers.
Is my BVN Linked with NIN?
The question of NIN registration with BVN is simple. On registering for BVN some person got an auto-generated NIN. However, NIMC has made it clear that NIN generated from BVN is not complete until you visit enrolment centre to full registration.
How to Find NIN Number without a Phone Number?
If you have lost your phone number (which you used during enrolment for the NIN) and the temporal NIMC slip, then try the following to retrieve your NIN
- Dial the general retrieval code (*346#) with your current number linked with your BVN
- Try using the NIMC Mobile app – you can get the app at NIMC webpage or on Google Play store
- Go to nimc.gov.ng to print your NIN slip with the QR code and view your mobile
- If none of the above work, then proceed to any NIMC office near you to liaise with an official to help you.
- NIN Code: Please note that the USSD code *346# is the general NIN retrieval code for all network. If you are unable to link your NIN through the methods outlined on this page, then
- You should simply visit the nearest office of your service provider to submit/link your NIN.
- Go with your NIN and SIM pack
- Alternatively, call the customer care line of your service provider.
Make sure to Sign Up for our free email newsletter to receive similar updates like this one and other trending opportunities.