Applications are currently invited from motivated and talented individuals for the MONGABAY Internship Program commencing in Spring 2024 (January 1 – June 30, 2024). The internship offers the interns opportunity to develop their writing skills and become professionals.
This internship program is a partially paid opportunity. The interns will have the opportunity to develop their writing skills and have their news stories be published on the renowned Mongabay website which boasts of millions of global readers every month.
- Company/Organisation(s): MONGABAY
- Program Type: Internship
- Program Location: Remote
- Program Duration: 6 months
- Available Slot: Several
- Basic Qualifications: Students & Graduates
- Nationality: Any Nationality
Equally Check: Microsoft Internship Opportunities 2024
To be considered for the MONGABAY Internship Program, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Excellent communication skills
- Passionate about environmental subjects
- Positive attitude
- Coachable and open to learning
- Strong values – personally and professionally
- Problem-solving skills
The interns will be working virtually (at home or wherever they feel most productive) with set deadlines to be met. Flexible working hours per week where the intern is able to work but an average of 10 hours per week is required for the full six months. Some weeks could require 15 hours or so while others may be considerably less; interns have to be flexible and plan accordingly.
The interns will be paid for 4 of their articles, with the two first being part of the initial learning period (rates will be discussed with internship editors in due course).
- Publishing experience in a high-profile news outlet
- Learning about journalistic programs and processes at Mongabay
- Becoming part of a community of passionate and talented writers
- Coaching and support:
- Meet and greet training session via Skype and Q&A with Mongabay staff
- Working with different editors and receiving guidance and feedback
- Developing writing skills
- Developing interviewing skills
- Resume building
- Mongabay letters of reference and personal recommendations
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the Mongabay Internship are to submit an online application Here. Applications must be submitted in English. Applicants are required to submit the following documents (It is strongly recommended that you have these items prepared before beginning the application process):
- Cover letter
- Indicate why you are interested and what values & skills you can contribute to Mongabay.
- Motivation questions (you can find them in the application form)
- Submit a writing sample from a journal entry or blog article (600 words max.)
Or you can choose one from the following three articles to complete a writing sample
- Beyond the numbers: Human attitudes and conflict with lions (Panthera leo) in and around Gambella National Park, Ethiopia
- Changes in the West African forest-savanna mosaic, insights from central Togo
- Thismia kelabitiana (Thismiaceae), a new unique Fairy Lantern from Borneo potentially threatened by commercial logging
Optional: submit an additional writing sample of your own (600 words max.)
Application Deadline: November 28, 2023