Applications are invited from suitably qualified African students who seeks to understand how fashion producers in Africa go about their business to enroll for the King’s College London Africa Studentships 2023/24.
The PhD studentships will focus on generating new data on fashion economies relevant to industry and pursue concept building on lead firms in the global South. Th program aims to support students to move their visions beyond Africa as resource-constrained to focus on creativity, ideas and innovation.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): King’s College London
Scholarship Type: Full Funding
Host Institution(s): African Leadership Centre, King’s College London
Scholarship Worth: Not specified
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Postgraduate (PhD)
See Also: Top 50 Universities in the United Kingdom and Scholarships 2023
King’s College London Africa Studentships 2023/24 | Eligibility Criteria
To be considered for the King’s College London Africa Studentships, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be Africans and be permanently resident in an African country.
- Plan to commence a full-time MPhil/PhD programme at King’s College London in the 2023-24 academic year (Ideal candidate to start in October 2023 but by no later than January 2024).
- Meet the academic requirements for enrolment for the PhD degree in the Faculty of Social Science and Policy at King’s College London.
- You should hold or expect to obtain a High Merit or Distinction at Master’s level (or equivalent) in any subject.
- Disciplinary areas of particular relevance would include but not be limited to: International Political Economy; Political Economy; Fashion Management; Business; Development Studies; Culture, Media & Creative Industries; Policy; Sociology; Geography; Social Sciences.
- A strong interest in fashion and the creative economy (academic, professional, personal).
- Good team-working, observational, organisation and communication skills.
- Experience of qualitative and quantitative methods.
The studentship covers the following for four years:
- Tuition fees at the higher international/overseas rate
- An annual stipend (living allowance): at the UKRI rate (for the year 2022/23, this was set at £19,688).
- Research costs up to £5,000 per annum.
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the King’s College London Africa Studentships 2023/24 are to complete an online application and email all the required documents to Dr Ikpe and Dr England in advance of applying through the KCL portal.
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter explaining applicant’s interest in the project and how your prior experience is relevant.
- Sample of written work (i.e MSc/Ma thesis).
Application Deadline: 30th June 2023