German Bundestag International Parliament Scholarship (IPS) 2021/22: Are you wishing for a study opportunity in Germany? Do you also want to get to know the German Parliament? The German Bundestag invites committed university graduates from Southern Africa to a scholarship program in Berlin in January 2022.
The German Bundestag is offering this scholarship program for politically committed young university graduates from South Africa, Namibia and Botswana who are interested in the German parliamentary system and who actively support basic democratic values in their home countries.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): German Bundestag
Scholarships to be taken at: Berlin, Germany.
Scholarship Type: Fully Funded Scholarships.
Scholarship level: Postgraduate
Scholarship Worth: Full funding.
Scholarships Aimed at: Students from Southern Africa.
German Bundestag International Parliament Scholarship (IPS) 2021/22 | The Program
The program will take place in Berlin from January 1st to 31st, 2022. The core of the program is a one-week internship in the office of a member of the German Bundestag.
The focus is also on events on the German parliamentary system as well as lectures, workshops and seminars on, among other things, parliamentary democracy, the way in which parliament works and how it functions. In addition, the topics of pluralism, protection of minorities and culture of remembrance are conveyed as a political mandate. A workshop on project management should help to develop your own project ideas with the aim of promoting democracy and civil society in the respective countries of origin.
- Citizenship of one of the three participating countries (dual citizenship possible)
- younger than 30 years at the beginning of the scholarship
- completed university degree
- very good knowledge of the German language
- Interest in political contexts as well as social / political engagement
Selection of Candidates
The scholarship program is aimed at committed, open-minded, resilient and politically interested young professionals from South Africa, Namibia and Botswana who want to actively and responsibly shape the democratic future of their countries.
Applicants are invited to a personal selection interview in the German embassies in the participating countries and are selected by an independent selection committee of the German Bundestag with regard to their professional, social, linguistic and intercultural skills.
The cost of traveling to the interview will be reimbursed on a pro-rata basis if the interviews do not take place in your home country.
The participants receive a grant of 500 euros. In addition, the costs for health, accident and liability insurance are covered. In addition, free accommodation is granted in a residential complex (two-person shared apartment). The costs of travel to and from Berlin will be reimbursed.
How-to-Apply: Please send the complete online application documents in a PDF document, the file name of which consists of your surname and first name (ie “surname-first name”), by email to the German representation in your home country. You can find this information and the application form at www.bundestag.de/ips-afrikanisch.
Your application should be sent in German and contain the following scanned documents:
- Passport photo (please insert on page 1 of the application form);
- Application form (on the Internet at: www.bundestag.de/ips_afrikanisch);
- Proof of very good German language skills
(at least level B 2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages);
- Letter of motivation (maximum two pages);
- Copy of passport or copy of ID;
- Officially certified copy of the degree certificate 1;
- a letter of recommendation in German or English (from a university professor or from the employer, in which the professional qualifications of the applicant for the program are assessed).
For further questions, please send an email to: [email protected]
Application Deadline: July 31, 2021