DAAD/ZMT Doctoral Scholarship 2021-2022: Scholars from Sub-Sahara Africa are hereby invited to apply for the DAAD Doctoral Scholarship Pre-selection by ZMT for 2021-2022 academic sessions. The Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT) advertises 2 doctoral scholarships starting in Fall 2021. Additionally, 2 further doctoral scholarships can be granted starting in 2022.
The scholarships are related to the interdisciplinary research topic “Adaptation of marine socio-ecological systems to changing environments”. The scholarships will be granted by the DAAD and are funded by the Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP). ZMT will make a preselection and nominates successful applicants to DAAD.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): DAAD/ZMT GSSP
Scholarship to be taken at: Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT), Germany
Scholarship level: Masters
Scholarship Slots: 4 scholarships available.
Scholarship Worth: see scholarship benefits (below)
Subject Eligibility: multiple disciplinary project
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Students from sub-Sahara Africa
DAAD/ZMT Doctoral Scholarship 2021-2022 | Details
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Applicants need to originate from Sub-Sahara Africa.
- They need to hold a university degree (international degrees must be equivalent to German “Diplom”, “Magister” or “Master”).
- The last final exam (Master’s degree or equivalent) must have taken place no longer than six years ago.
- At the time when DAAD receives the nomination letter (March 2021), applicants must not have resided in Germany for more than 15 months prior to the nomination.
- ZMT strives to increase the proportion of women in research and encourages females to apply for these positions.
- Eligible Fields: The doctoral projects of the scholarship holders are based on one of the following ZMT departments and one working group. The working group leader acts as main scientific supervisors.
- Biogeochemistry und Geology
- Theoretical Ecology and Modeling
- Social Sciences.
Funding Details | BENEFITS
The scholarships will be granted for up to 4 years (upon successful evaluation each year) and will be granted directly by the DAAD.
The scholarship includes:
- a scholarship installment of currently €1,200 per month;
- travel allowance;
- payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover;
- a research allowance of currently € 460 per year
- a preparatory intensive German language course starting in Summer 2021
- under certain circumstances, grant holders may receive monthly allowance for accompanying family members (about €200 child allowance per child and about €275 marriage allowance);
- Research Stays abroad are possible if they do not take longer than 25% of the scholarship period.
How-to-Apply: Interested and eligible candidates should proceed to submit your application under the following link until the specified deadline. Application should be accompanied with the below listed documents . It is important that you visit the scholarship official information page to get the full application guide.
Document Requirements: The application consists of
- Personal details
- Your CV (max 2 pages)
- Concept of your Doctoral project related to the above mentioned topic: max 2-page. This concept has to be discussed and approved by a ZMT workgroup leader before submitting it. Please contact the ZMT workgroup leader beforehand!
- Letter of support from ZMT workgroup leader
- Letter of Reference from 2 referees (according to this template)
- Letter of Motivation (Why would you like to pursue a doctoral project at ZMT? Why do you think the suggested working groups could fit your interests?) – max 1 page
- Master and Bachelor degree certificates
Application Deadline: 20th December, 2020.