DAAD Scholarship 2024: Are you an international student or indigenous German student looking to carry out research in Germany and do not have funding? Then look no further. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) each year, supports over 100,000 German and international students and researchers around the globe to study abroad and research – making it the world’s largest funding organization.
DAAD scholarships aims primarily at supporting graduates, doctoral students and postdocs and are granted for study and research visits to universities and non-university research institutions in Germany. There are also offers that are called the “Sur-place and Third Country Programmes” where students, young scientists and researchers are offered DAAD funding for a Scholarship in Germany for graduate programme, doctoral programme or post-doctoral period in their region or home country.
Knowing how to apply for DAAD Scholarships is very important if one is to win the scholarship. Therefore, there are things to note while applying for a DAAD scholarship in Germany or Third Country Programmes.
DAAD Scholarships 2023/24 | Things to Note
Applicants for DAAD Scholarships must:
- Have obtained relevant certificates from recognized institutions of higher learning.
- Applicants from all over the world are eligible to apply.
- Must demonstrate strong academic and leadership abilities.
- The quality of the project: for study and research visits, courses of continuing education: a convincing and well-planned project.
- A well-founded choice of course, as documented by the letter of motivation.
- Academic achievements
Depending on scholarship programme, additional selection criteria may be relevant, e.g. language skills.
You may Like: Tips on How to Apply for and Win a Chevening Scholarship
Benefits of DAAD Scholarship Germany
The benefits offered by the respective scholarship programme differs and are described in the call for applications in the scholarship database. Generally, it covers:
- A monthly scholarship payment (€ 861 for graduates, € 1,200 for doctoral/PhD students, university teachers are usually € 2,000 for assistant teachers, assistant professors and lecturers, € 2,150 for professors)
- A flat-rate travel allowance.
- Health, accident and personal liability insurance.
- A one-off research allowance, family benefits or funds for language courses.
There are several things to look-out for while preparing to apply for DAAD Scholarships, such as:
Preparing your Application:
- Letter of motivation that describes your professional and personal reasons for wishing to study in Germany not more than three pages. The content should include your education, skills, academic motivation, personal interest and reasons for applying for a scholarship.
- Proposal: should be detailed and precise having the objective, current state of literature, key research questions, research strategies/methods, ethical issues, research bibliography clearly outlined.
Planning your Project: You need to have obtain a confirmation from a university teacher if you wish to carry out individual research or complete a doctorate in Germany. You have to get a host who can be a university teacher or teachers who work at a state or state-recognized institution of higher learning.
How to apply: Applicants will have to apply online by registering in the DAAD portal. In the scholarship database, first select your chosen scholarship programme and then the tab “Submit application”. Application procedures may vary depending on scholarship programme. To find out where and how to apply, applicants are to read the “Application Procedures” at scholarship database. Applicants can apply by following the steps below:
- Download the application form for DAAD scholarship.
- Make a personalized CV with your signature.
- Write motivation letter and hand sign it.
- Write detailed Research proposal.
- Get recommendation letter from your previous university
- Get a host from a government or state-recognized institution of higher learning.
Applicants should note that there is no age limit for scholarship applicants interested in applying for DAAD Scholarships. DAAD Scholarships are generally open to all subjects. However, applicants must ensure that their course of study is on the eligible programmes as there are certain restrictions to some subjects (e.g. medicine).
You can visit the official website for further information.
All the best as you set out to apply for DAAD Scholarships 2024. Remember to Sign-Up for our updates by email and show love by sharing the post if it is useful.