Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the American College of Surgeons Medical Scholarships which provides opportunity for international students to participate in a variety of educational opportunities to acquire new knowledge and skills in surgical education and training.
The awards provide upto $10,000 funding for young faculty from countries other than the United States and Canada. The knowledge gained during this training will be useful in improving surgical education at the scholar’s home country.
- Scholarship Sponsor(s): American College of Surgeons
- Scholarship Type: Partial Funding
- Host Institution(s): American College of Surgeons
- Scholarship Worth: $10,000
- Number of Awards: Several
- Study Level: Postgraduate
- Nationality: International Candidates
American College of Surgeons Medical Scholarships | Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for the ACS Medical Scholarships 2024, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine who have completed their surgical training.
- Applicants must be a fully trained surgeon with a minimum of five years of experience after completion of certification as a surgeon, or equivalent, and no more than 20 years of experience.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must show evidence of commitment to high-quality surgery, surgical teaching, and improving access to surgical care in their community.
- Awardees of past ACS International Scholarships are not eligible.
- Applicants must submit all required fields. The application and accompanying materials must be submitted in English.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in the U.S. or Canada.
- Applicants must submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three (3) of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold a clinical or academic appointment or from a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons residing in their country.
- The ISSURGED award must be used in the year for which they are designated.
- Awardees are expected to provide a written report upon their return home, specifically focusing on the value of the visit to the awardee and the potential beneficial effect to patients in the country.
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the American College of Surgeons Medical Scholarships 2024 are to complete an online application and submit all the required supporting documents.
Application Deadline: January 15, 2024