2020 TWAS Visiting Expert Programme for Developing Countries: The 2020 TWAS Visiting Expert Programme application is opened for institutions of higher learning. The programme provides institutions and research groups in developing countries, especially the least developed countries and those with limited outside contacts, with opportunities to establish long-term links with world leaders in areas of science other than mathematics and physics, and help develop capacity-building in their country.
The programme supports visits of internationally renowned scientists to institutions located in developing countries, especially those located in the least developed countries. As the programme is striving towards providing equal opportunities, nominations of women will be particularly welcomed. Only persons who have attained international recognition in their fields of science will be considered for support under this programme.
Programme Sponsor(s): The World Academy of Science (TWAS)
Programme to be taken at: Developing Countries
Programme Worth: Capacity Development
Subject Eligibility: Science
Country/Candidate Eligibility: The programme is for scholars in developing countries.
You may also like: 2020 Africa Research Excellence Fund Fellowship Programme
Programme Eligibility and Selection Criteria: To be considered for the 2020 TWAS Visiting Expert Programme for Developing Countries, applicants are to meet the following criteria:
- Under the programme, prospective host institutions can invite internationally renowned experts in areas of science other than mathematics and physics to collaborate in research and training. The visiting expert will be expected to interact closely with faculty and students of the host institution with the aim of strengthening its existing activities and/or assisting in the establishment of new lines research. The visiting expert could also deliver lectures and seminars to research students, supervise students, conduct research and discuss future collaborative partnerships.
- The visit should have a minimum stay of two weeks at the host institution. Applications to renew successful visits will be considered in the following year(s). TWAS will provide the Visiting Expert with the most direct economy class travel (round-trip) while the host institution is expected to cover local expenses.
- On completion of the visit, the visiting expert and the host institution should provide comprehensive reports outlining the impact the visit has had on the educational and research programmes of the host institution.
- Australia Awards Scholarships 2020/21 for Developing Countries [Deadline Extended]
- TWAS-BIOTEC Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme in Thailand, 2020
Application Procedures for the 2020 TWAS Visiting Expert Programme for Developing Countries
Institutions wishing to be considered for this programme must complete the online application form. While filling in the online application, the following documentation needs to be uploaded:
- Brief CV of the Visiting Expert (maximum 10 pages) and list of publications;
- Letter from the Visiting Expert detailing the research and teaching programme with which he/she could assist at the host institute.
- Supporting statement from the head of the institution.
Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: the head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
Application Deadline: 1st October, 2020