French Government EIFFEL Excellence Scholarship Program 2020: Students from around the globe are now being welcomed to apply for the French Government EIFFEL Excellence Scholarship Program 2020. The scholarships are proudly sponsored by the French Government and aims to assist the education of foreign students interested in studying or studying in France. The scholarship program is also aimed at attracting top foreign students to enrol in masters and PhD programs in France and hence, it is very competitive.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): French Government.
Scholarships to be taken at: Participating Institutions (by interest).
Scholarship Type: Fully Funded Scholarships.
Scholarship level: Masters and PhD.
Slots: Close to 400 scholarships awarded in 2019, a subsequent increase is expected.
Scholarship Worth: Please see scholarship benefits.
Subject Eligibility: All subject areas
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Foreign students to France
English Language Requirements: Language ability may be required.
About the Scholarship Program (EIFFEL excellence scholarship):
The scholarship implementation and duration are as follows;
Master’s level :
- The Eiffel scholarship is granted to cover a predefined number of months in order to help the recipient follow the academic program for which his/her application has been granted. Students must comply with the academic requirements of each academic year in order to continue benefitting from the scholarship.
- Apart from language training, the scholarship shall not exceed 12 months for a Master’s 2 level, 24 months for a Master’s 1 level and 36 months for an engineering degree.
- Should the student wish to take an intensive language course beforehand, the Eiffel scholarship duration can be extended by a maximum of two months, if this is clearly indicated in the application. The Eiffel scholarship does not cover the cost of such language courses.
- The scholarship may cover internship periods of no more than 25% of the total duration of the master program (please see “duration of the scholarship” at page 4 of the application file)
- The internship period must be an integral part of the course and be referred as mandatory in the higher education institution curriculum. If the internship is not mandatory or exceeds the 25% of the master duration, the scholarship will be interrupted.
- The academic program is only covered by the Eiffel scholarship for periods taking place in France.
- If the academic program includes an international academic exchange, in a different institution, the scholarship shall be suspended for period spent abroad, with deferral of the scholarship.
- If the academic program includes an international academic exchange in the same institution, the scholarship shall be suspended during the period spent abroad, without deferral of the scholarship.
- Gap years are allowed, but not financed.
- If the student signs an apprenticeship contract or a professional training contract, the scholarship shall be automatically terminated.
- The Eiffel scholarship is awarded for a maximum of 12 months.
- Only law students can take French language courses alongside their studies. This must be clearly requested by the Institution in the application.
- If the language course is not clearly requested in the application, it will not be granted afterwards. The Eiffel scholarship does not cover the cost of such language courses.
- With the approval of the Selection Commission, the scholarship can be divided into 2 or 3 periods in France of 3 or 4 months each. The scholarship can be divided over a maximum of 3 calendar years.
- The Scholarship covers one round-trip international ticket.
Award Focus Areas:
Eiffel scholarships are available in three main fields:
- engineering science at master’s level,
- science in the broadest sense at PhD level (engineering science; exact sciences: mathematics, physics, chemistry and life sciences, nano- and biotechnology, earth sciences, sciences of the universe, environmental sciences, information and communication science and technology);
- economics and management;
- law and political sciences.
Scholarship Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
To participate in the EIFFEL excellence scholarship program, please read carefully the eligibility criteria;
- Only foreign nationals are eligible to apply for a scholarship from the French Government.
- In the case of dual nationality applicants, those with French nationality are ineligible.
- for master’s courses, candidates must be no older than 30 on the date of the selection committee meeting, March 2020; at PhD level, candidates must be no older than 35 on the date of the selection committee meeting, March 2020.
- only applications submitted by French educational establishments are accepted. These establishments undertake to enrol scholarship holders on the course for which they have been selected. Applications submitted by any other means shall not be considered. Furthermore, any candidate nominated by more than one establishment shall be disqualified.
- scholarships are for students wishing to enrol on a master’s course, including at an engineering school, and for PhD students. The Eiffel Programme does not apply to French-run master’s courses abroad, as non-PhD scholarship holders must complete at least 75% of their course in France. It does not apply to training under an apprenticeship contract or a professional training contract either.
- Educational establishments that shortlist non-French speaking applicants must ensure that their level of French is sufficient to enable them to integrate satisfactorily into the anticipated course
- Combination with other scholarships: foreign students who, at the time of application, have already been awarded a French government scholarship under another programme are not eligible, even if the scholarship in question does not include social security cover.
- Eiffel PhD scholarships: Establishments may nominate a candidate who was previously awarded an Eiffel scholarship at master’s level for a scholarship at PhD level. Candidates who have already been awarded an Eiffel scholarship once during their PhD cannot be awarded it for a second time. No application will be accepted for any student who applied previously but was rejected, even if the application is submitted by a different establishment or in another field of study.
- Eiffel master’s scholarships: no application will be accepted for any student who applied previously but was rejected, even if the application is submitted by a different establishment or in another field of study. Students who have already been awarded an Eiffel scholarship at master’s level are not eligible to re-apply at master’s level.
- Language skills: when pre-selecting non-French-speaking candidates, establishments must make sure that their language skills meet the requirements of the relevant course of study.
- Canadian Francophonie Scholarship Program for Developing Countries
- MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program 2020 (Full Scholarship at McGill University)
- University of Queensland Schwarzman Scholarship Program for International Students in Australia
Scholarship Benefits: Awardees of the EIFFEL excellence scholarship program
- Master’s level: The Eiffel scholarship consist of a monthly allowance of €1,181 (a maintenance allowance of €1,031 and a monthly stipend of €150). In addition, the program covers various benefits including a round-trip international ticket, Health insurance and cultural activities.
- PhD level: The Eiffel scholarship includes a monthly allowance of €1,400. In addition, the program covers various benefits including a round-trip international ticket, Health insurance and cultural activities.
Students may also benefit from a housing allowance.
Application Procedures for the 2020 French Government EIFFEL Excellence Scholarship Program for Foreign Students – How-to-Apply:
Participation in this French Government Scholarship program will require nominations through participating institutions. It is important that interested persons visit the official website for detailed application guide.
- Opening of the call for applications: week of October 21th 2019
- Deadline for the reception of applications by Campus France: January 9th 2020.
- Publication of results: week of March 23th 2020.