Studying in Ireland comes with lots of challenges as some students especially those from low-income countries find it difficult to meet up with their financial obligations. This article provides a list of some notable scholarships in Ireland international students can take advantage of, to study in Ireland free-of-charge or at least, at reduced cost.
You are looking for a study abroad opportunity and/or if you are passionate about fulfilling your life-long dream of studying in a European country as an international student, then Ireland can as well be one of the best choice for you. This is attributed to the fact that the Irish government is committed to supporting international students in the pursuits of their educational career. To boost the number of international students choosing the country, they offer a numerous scholarships opportunities to study in Ireland.
Who are the Sponsors of Scholarships in Ireland?
Notably some major funding sources for scholarships in Ireland include the government of Ireland herself and others like top Irish Universities and other popular international organizations. These funders award scholarships to international students both at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels provided the students meet the eligibility criteria for such scholarships.
What are the Major Criteria for Award of Scholarships in Ireland?
To be awarded a scholarship in Ireland as an international student, one must be able to meet some if not all the eligible criteria required for such an award. Though scholarship sponsors in Ireland may have their own specific requirements which must be met, the following are some of the basic requirements that must be met by an international student:
- Good Academic Credentials: As an international student looking for scholarship offers in Ireland, you must have obtained good academic scores in your high school or undergraduate level if seeking scholarship to enroll for an undergraduate and postgraduate programme respectively. Funders are usually in the look-out for bright and outstanding students who would make good use of the opportunity provided.
- Possession of Volunteering experiences: Some scholarship sponsors will require that the prospective student possess some form of volunteering experience which in some form shows the ability of the student to undertake some task independently for the good of the society without any monetary benefit.
- English Language Proficiency: As an international student, you must show proof that you are proficient in the use of English which in most cases is the language to be used while studying in Ireland. Showing language proficiency will increase the chance of landing a scholarship as an international student.
- Recommendation Letters: Having a good recommendation letter from a referee is one of the selection criteria used by some scholarship sponsors in awarding scholarships. Recommendation letters from your teacher is like a testimonial of one’s ability to handle and complete tasks as a student.
What are the Steps to Apply for Scholarship in Ireland?
As an international student, there are steps to be taken in other to complete an application for a scholarship offer in Ireland. Most times, students do not pay attention to what they send out as an application. You start by seeking out the scholarship offer that meets your expectations and then you prepare your application documents. Once you have all the required documents, you can then proceed to apply online.
Applicants are to note the following point when filling out their online applications:
- Prepare a concise and up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
- Prepare your scanned documents in the required format and size.
- Ensure that all your recommendation letters are available and ready.
- Fill all the required information to avoid incomplete application.
- Ensure you write a well-crafted motivation letter.
7 Notable Scholarships in Ireland for International Students
There are several scholarships provided by the Irish Government for international students. They include the Government of Ireland International Education Scholarship, Government of Ireland Academic Mobility Programme, Government of Ireland Staff Scholarships to mention a few.
These scholarships are available for international students enrolling in an undergraduate study programme at any Irish Institution of Higher learning. The scholarship may provide up to $29,550 funding option for students awarded the scholarship.
3. Centenary Scholarship Program
Students from China, India, Japan, Brazil, Indonesia, USA and Malaysia are often offered this scholarship. It provides a one-year tuition fee for the students.
The fellowships are awarded to 30 fresh international graduates seeking research opportunities in Ireland. The scholarship provides up to 22,000 Euros as grant each year to successful applicants.
These scholarships are available for non-EU meritorious students enrolled for an undergraduate or postgraduate programme in Ireland. The scheme provides an amount up to $18,300 for candidates.
Several scholarships are available for international students from selected countries applying to study at Trinity College Dublin. The scholarship value ranges from $5,700-$11,400 depending on the scholarship type.
There are scholarship opportunities available for outstanding international students admitted into the postgraduate programme of the University.