Swansea University’s Faculty of Science and Engineering is collaborating with Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) to award a fully-funded PhD Research Scholarship to eligible candidates who wish to enrol for the program at the University.
Swansea University offers a number of awards for students pursuing PhD, MPhil, MRes or Master’s by Research studies. The aim of this project is to advance our understanding of fundamental computational problems concerning the long-term behaviour of linear dynamical systems.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Swansea University, UK & EPSRC
Host Institution(s): Swansea University, UK
Scholarship Worth: Fully-funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: All Nationalities
DETAILS | Swansea University EPSRC PhD Research Scholarship
This scholarship is open to candidates of any nationality. The project is suitable for students with a background in (theoretical) computer science or mathematics. The student will employ a synthesis of numerical and symbolic methods, combining tools from computability, computational complexity, analysis (differential equations, analytic number theory), topology, and algebra (real algebraic geometry, quantifier elimination).
Prior knowledge or experience in one or more of these areas are desirable, but not strictly necessary. Moreover, reachability problems over rational data become un-decidable or provably “hard” already for seemingly very simple systems.
To be eligible for Swansea University EPSRC PhD Research Scholarship, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Applicants can come from any nationality
- If you are holding a non-UK degree, please see Swansea University degree comparisons to find out if you meet the eligibility.
- Applicants must have English Language requirements, If applicable – IELTS 6.5 overall (with at least 6.0 in each individual component) or Swansea recognised equivalent. Details on the Swansea University English Language entry policy can be found here
- Candidates must normally hold an undergraduate degree at 2.1 level in Computer Science, Mathematics or a closely related discipline, or an appropriate master’s degree with a minimum overall grade at ‘Merit’ (or Non-UK equivalent as defined by Swansea University).
You May Also Like: University of Queensland Postgraduate Research Scholarship 2022-23
How-to-Apply: To apply, please complete your application online with the following information:
- Course choice – please select Computer Science / PhD / Full-time / 3 Year / October
In the event you have already applied for the above programme previously, the application system may issue a warning notice and prevent application, in this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org where staff will be happy to assist you in submitting your application.
- Start year – please select 2022
- Funding (page 8) –
- ‘Are you funding your studies yourself?’ – please select No
- ‘Name of Individual or organisation providing funds for study’ – please enter ‘RS122 – PhD Comp Sci’
It is the responsibility of the applicant to list the above information accurately when applying, please note that applications received without the above information listed will not be considered for the scholarship award.
One application is required per individual Swansea University led research scholarship award; applications cannot be considered listing multiple Swansea University led research scholarship awards.
As part of your online application, you MUST upload the following documents (please do not send these via email):
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Monitoring Form (online form)
- Degree certificates and transcripts (if you are currently studying for a degree, screenshots of your grades to date are sufficient)
- A cover letter including a ‘Supplementary Personal Statement’ to explain why the position particularly matches your skills and experience and how you choose to develop the project.
- Two references (academic or previous employer) on headed paper or using the Swansea University reference form. Please note that we are not able to accept references received citing private email accounts, e.g. Hotmail. Referees should cite their employment email address for verification of reference.
- Evidence of meeting English Language requirement (if applicable).
- Copy of UK resident visa (if applicable)
Informal enquiries are welcome, please contact Dr Eike Neumann (email@example.com).
Application Deadline: July 29, 2022