Stellenbosch University Turning the Tide Scholarship: Stellenbosch University through Faculty of Art and Social Sciences is currently inviting applications from ambitious, intelligent students with academic excellence for Turning the Tide Scholarship available for Masters and PhD Studies at the University.
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences of Stellenbosch University will be awarding, in partnership with the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, a limited number of full-time scholarships for Master’s (100% research) or PhD studies.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Stellenbosch University, South Africa
Scholarship Type: Full Funding
Host Institution(s): Stellenbosch University, South Africa
Scholarship Worth: Up to 400 000 ZAR (PhD) and up to 105 000 ZAR (MA) + Other benefits
Study Level: Masters and PhD
Number of Awards: Several
Nationality: Any nationality
Stellenbosch University Turning the Tide Scholarship 2021 | DETAILS
Scholarships are available in all the disciplines that form part of the Faculty but this particular scholarship funding is available only for a research topic that falls within one of the following areas: African Cultural Studies, The Anthropocene and Ecocriticism, Identity, Gender and/or Queer Studies.
To be eligible for the 2021 University Turning the Tide Scholarship 2021;
- Applicants should have obtained a minimum of 75% for their previous degree.
- Applicants are expected to provide a sample of their writing with their application: MA thesis for PhD applicants Honours research essay for MA applicants Any published academic articles related to your application.
- At the date of application, applicants must not be older than 30 years to apply for a Master’s scholarship and not older than 35 to apply for a PhD scholarship.
- Students are not required to be registered or to have a supervisor. They should, however, inform themselves with regard to the availability of supervisors in their particular field of research before submitting an application.
Successful applicants for the Stellenbosch University Turning the Tide Scholarship will receive the following benefits;
- PhD scholarships: Up to R400 000, over three years. (In addition to study fees and an allowance, the scholarship covers research activities such as a writing retreat, conference attendance and publication costs.)
- MA scholarships: Up to R105 000, over 18 months to two years. (In addition to study fees and an allowance, the scholarship covers research activities such as a writing retreat, conference attendance and publication costs.)
How-to-Apply: Interested and eligible for Stellenbosch University Turning the Tide Scholarship for Masters and PhD Studies are required to enroll in full-time studies at the University, thereafter can proceed to apply through filling and completing the online application form. Your application should be accomplished with a number of documents as stated (below).
- Official application form.
- A motivation letter (not longer than 600 words);
- A preliminary research proposal, no longer than 1000 words, underlining the unique contribution your research will make to the existing body of knowledge in the particular field of study, the problem statement, the methodology / theoretical framework / philosophical underpinnings you intend to use and the feasibility of your study;
- A certified copy of your full academic transcript;
- A certified copy of your Honours or MA degree certificate – or foreign equivalent (if you have completed the qualification but have not yet obtained the certificate, official proof from the institution concerned that the degree will be delivered before March 2021);
- A certified copy of your South African ID or passport (for international students).
Application Deadline: October 31, 2021