The University Alliance in collaboration with KWI International are inviting research fellows with a completed PhD plus up to six years of post-doctoral experience to enrol for KWI International Fellowships Program. The fellowships can be offered to applicants in all disciplines represented in the current KWI research agenda.
The KWI fellowship program addresses excellent researchers from the humanities, cultural studies, and the social sciences. The institute provides fellows with modern infrastructure, office space, technical support and offers a library service, event and research management as well as support in all administrative and communicative regards.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): KWI International
Host Institution(s): University Alliance Ruhr, Germany
Fellowship Worth: Fully-funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: Domestic or International Students
KWI International Fellowships Program | DETAILS
The KWI International Fellowship Program addresses international researchers. Researchers of German nationality are eligible to apply if currently employed at an international institute. Fellows will receive a fellowship contract (not a full-employment contract) and a monthly allowance of 4.000 € (pre-tax) meant to cover rent, insurances and living expenses. Travel expenses for arrival at KWI and for departure after the fellowship can be partially reimbursed.
The Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities (KWI) in Essen is an interdisciplinary research institute for the humanities and social sciences in the tradition of institutes for advanced study. Located in the Ruhr Area, KWI offers a space for independent and innovative research in the humanities and various opportunities to engage and include the public. Currently, research at KWI focusses on the following areas: literary and cultural sociology, cultural science studies, science communication and public humanities.
To be eligible for KWI International Fellowships Program, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Applicants must be domestic or international students
- The fellowship should be dedicated to research linked to the programmatic agenda of KWI. Various project formats are possible: You might devote your time in Essen to finishing a book or a special issue, to finalizing a research proposal or setting up a research group. We also welcome plans to establish or substantiate collaborations with the universities of the Ruhr Alliance.
- We expect the fellows to be present at least 4 days a week. Fellows will be expected to participate in entry and exit interviews.
- Fellows are requested to actively take part in the Colloquium, lectures, conferences, reading groups and other academic events at KWI. Moreover, we expect the fellow to contribute to the KWI Blog. We also encourage fellows to organize a workshop during their fellowship.
- Fellows are invited to actively take part in academic events at KWI and will have the opportunity to design outstanding discussion formats with prominent researchers.
- Fellows are not expected to teach, but always welcome to inspire our teaching laboratory with new ideas or participate in lecture series and seminars at surrounding universities.
- Publications deriving from the time of residence should mention KWI.
- Knowledge of German is not required since the Fellowship Programme relies on a strong command of English.
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for KWI International Fellowships Program are kindly ask to apply in the form of one single PDF-file (max. 20 MB) which must be submitted electronically to email@example.com [Due to IT safety regulations, we cannot accept applications via links to external platforms].
The application must be formulated in English and must contain a CV, a list of publications, a PhD certificate, and a proposal sketching your KWI project (up to max. 5.000 characters). We will not consider applications that are incomplete or submitted after application deadline.
The fellows will be selected by a committee assembling members of the KWI governing board and the institute’s director. Further information about the application process can be found in the FAQs for further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: February 18, 2023