Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the 2023 cycle Jennifer Ward Oppenheimer Research Grant aimed at supporting early-career scientists that are conducting impactful research that will provide solutions to some of Africa’s most pressing problems.
A Grant of $150,000 will be awarded to the successful applicant to support a research project or programme for up to three years in areas related to environment such as biodiversity and conservation.
Grant Sponsor(s): Jennifer Ward Oppenheimer Fund
Host Institution(s): Not specified
Grant Worth: USD 150,000
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Graduates
Nationality: All Nationalities
See Also: Rotary Foundation Global Grants and Scholarships 2023
Jennifer Ward Oppenheimer Research Grant | DETAILS
Jennifer Ward Oppenheimer’s love for the African continent began in the mid-90s when she moved to Zimbabwe with Jonathan Oppenheimer. In 1999 they moved to South Africa and she embraced it as her home. The JWO Research Grant was founded in her honour. The grant aims to continue her contribution to and passion for Africa, the environment, and pioneering science. The purpose of the grant is to support early-career scientists that are conducting impactful research that will provide solutions to some of Africa’s most pressing problems.
To be eligible for the JWO Research Grant, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be early career scientists already holding a PhD degree and should have no more than seven years of work and/or research experience post-degree (excluding time taken for family responsibilities).
- Have strong links to a credible African institution. The institution should have a proven ability to manage to fund and subscribes to good financial grant practice and can be any of the following: academic institution, research institution, government institution, NGO, for-profit organization.
What Judges Look for:
- Advances the frontiers of knowledge within the chosen field
- Facilitates solutions to African challenges: The research should try and solve an African challenge that occurs in more than one geography and is scalable to other areas. The research should include multiple research sites
- Demonstrates innovative methodologies and approaches Exhibits scientific rigour and excellence
- Contributes to human capital development (e.g. mentorship, support, and professional development opportunities) for the next generation of researchers.
- Incorporates a holistic perspective and involves inter-and multi-disciplinary collaboration with partners (preference intra-African) to leverage time, expertise, skills, materials, and resources and reduce duplication
- Articulates the potential to create impact both during and beyond the grant period
- Displays knowledge of associated recent or ongoing work on the continent.
- Defines a clear plan for disseminating research outcomes both inside and outside the scientific community
- Endeavours to open access publications (popular and scientific)
- Does not present unacceptable ethical or safety risk
You May Like: UNESCO Silk Roads Youth Research Grant for Young Researchers 2023
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the Jennifer Ward Oppenheimer Research Grant 2023 are to complete an online application and provide all the required information and documents required by the application deadline.
Application Deadline: 24th April 2023 at 00:00 (SAST)