Applications are currently invited from eligible and outstanding candidates to apply for the Japan-IMF Scholarship Program for Asia (JISPA). The Japan-IMF Scholarship Program for Asia (JISPA) supports graduate studies in macroeconomics or related fields in leading universities in Japan.
It provides educational opportunities to promising junior officials from central banks, ministries of finance and other economic agencies in the Asia-Pacific region, aiming to build their capacity in economic policymaking to support sustainable growth and development in their own countries and the region.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Japan-IMF
Host Institution(s): See Partnership Universities (Below)
Scholarship Worth: Fully-funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Masters & PhD
Nationality: International Students (ASEAN Countries)
DETAILS | Japan-IMF Scholarship Program
The program was first introduced in 1993, and is funded by the Government of Japan and administered by the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (OAP) of the International Monetary Fund (IMF). More than 840 officials have graduated since its inception, and many alumni play a key role in policymaking in their countries.
The program offers a partnership track with tailored master’s programs in several partner universities, and an open track with graduate programs, including PhD degrees, in any university in Japan. About 30 new scholarships are awarded every year for the partnership track, and only a small number of scholars are selected for the open track. Detailed academic programs at each partner university can be found in the JISPA e-brochure.
To be eligible for Japan-IMF Scholarship Program for Asia (JISPA), applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Applicants must be international students
- Applicants must be a national of one of the following countries: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao P.D.R., Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Pacific Island Countries, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Vietnam
- Working for a key economic agency such as central bank, ministry of economy, ministry of finance, or financial regulatory agency.
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Fluent in English
- In addition, for the open track, applicants are expected to be studying at, have been admitted into, or be applying to a graduate program in economics in Japan.
- An applicant must present either a TOEFL or IELTS score report. Kindly register the JISPA institution code as listed below when applicants take the test.
Currently four partnership universities offer the following programs:
- National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS)
- Hitotsubashi University (HIT)
- International University of Japan (IUJ)
- The University of Tokyo (UTokyo)
Successful applicants for Japan-IMF Scholarship Program will receive the following benefits:
- Full university admission and tuition fees
- Research related allowance and monthly living allowance
- Medical insurance
- A round-trip airfare and travel allowance
- Orientation Program tuition fees (partnership track only)
- Annual field trip fees (partnership track only)
- Computer/software allowance (master’s program only)
- Research related fees, including field research and conference attendance fees (open-track PhD program only).
Scholarship awards are made on the basis of the candidate’s academic record and work background, mathematical and statistics skills, English language proficiency, and potential for contributing to the macroeconomic and financial management and economic development of their countries. The assessment also includes qualities such as the candidate’s commitment to public service, willingness to learn, and openness to new ideas. For the final selection, regional balance and gender balance are also taken into consideration
How-to-Apply: Interested and eligible applicants seeking for Japan-IMF Scholarship Program should submit application online for this opportunity. Detailed academic programs at each partner university can be found in the JISPA e-brochure.
Application Deadline: Not Stated