IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program 2021: The International Mathematics Union (IMU) with the support of Friends of International Mathematics Union (FIMU) is pleased to announce the 2021 IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program for citizens of developing countries. The Fellowship program offers a limited number of grants for excellent students from developing countries.
Professional Mathematicians are invited to nominate highly motivated and mathematically talented students from developing countries who plan to complete a doctoral degree in a developing country including their home country.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): IMU & FIMU
Fellowship to be taken at: A Developing country
Fellowship Level: Doctoral
Fellowship Slots: Not specified
Fellowship Worth: See Fellowship Benefits (below)
Subject Eligibility: Mathematics
Country Eligibility: Students from developing countries
IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship | ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
To be eligible for the IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship: The nomination form has to be filled out online and be submitted by the nominator. Students cannot apply themselves for the fellowship.
Conditions for the Nominator (Professional Mathematician)
- Professional mathematicians (including those who have retired but continue to mentor young students). It is preferable that the nominator has been mentoring the nominee.
Conditions for the Nominee (Student)
- The student must be a citizen and resident of a developing country
- The student must either: be pre-accepted to join a doctoral program in the first academic year after the time of selection in a university or research institution which is based in a developing country OR already be enrolled in a doctoral program in a university or research institution which is based in a developing country
- There is no age limit for the student.
- Full tuition fee
- Accommodation expenses
- Travel expenses to the host institution (if different from the home country)
- Basic living expenses that will depend on the cost of the living of the country in which the student will study his/ her doctoral program
How-to-Apply: Interested nominators for the IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship are to complete and submit the nomination online.
- Statement from nominator
- Scanned copy of student (nominee) passport
- Official letter of pre-acceptance in the PhD Programme
- Budget of total expenses requested
- PhD Supervisor CV (up to 5 pages)
- Research Project
- Two (2) letters of recommendation – they must NOT be written by the nominator
- Transcripts of coursework (certified copies (e.g. stamped by the university)) of the student
- A) BSc degree or equivalent
- B) MSc degree or equivalent
- Nominee CV
- Nominee letter of motivation, research project and future plans of the student
- Nominator declaration
- PhD Supervisor declaration
- Nominee (student) declaration
All required documents must be submitted in English and uploaded in PDF formats only.
Application Deadline: 09:00 AM hours CET on May 31, 2021