Australia is one of the best destinations for international students. A country lying between the pacific and Indian oceans, it is known for its sun-kissed beaches, warm weather and outdoor lifestyle. According to research Australia as a country attracts the third highest number of international students, behind the United States of America and the United Kingdom of any country in the world. However most international students choose to study in this beautiful country because of the high quality of education.
Interestingly, Australia is not only represented as a beautiful continent but also a preferred destination for the study a competitive course like engineering and related fields. Here, you will find detailed information on how to study engineering in Australian Schools, entry requirements and lucrative scholarships and funding programs to help your study in Australia.
Studying engineering in Australia
Studying engineering in a country like Australia is a big dream for international students, Australia has some of the best engineering institutes after the US and the UK, making it an attractive destination to international students all over the world for some years now. These institutes offer high quality education and their degree offer numerous benefits to the holders.
Engineering is an occupation known to have endless possibilities. It using scientific principles to solve complex problems and build modern technological machinery. Engineering is divided into several subdisciplines to include mechanical, chemical, civil, electrical, geotechnical, chemical, petroleum, etc. To study engineering and become an engineer, you should have a specific skill set or a strong background mathematics and the sciences such as biology, chemistry and physics etc.
To give you an idea of how to start the study Engineering in Australia, let’s start by looking at some of the best universities to study engineering in Australia.
Best Universities to Study Engineering in Australia
- The University of New South Wales: The university of New South Wales is one of the best universities in Australia. Its faculty of engineering is widely regarded as the Centre for engineering studies and research. With over 5o years of excellence in education and learning, it offers more degree specialization than anywhere else. The institution focuses more on incorporating latest developments and trends in their researches, not only in engineering but other fields. This great institution offers different engineering programs which includes biomedical, chemical, computer, electrical, mechanical, mineral and energy resources engineering among others.
- The University of Sydney: This institution aims to create an impact through innovation in engineering. Its major goal is to meet the basic challenges in healthcare, infrastructure, food and also the environment, it aims at investing in a more sustainable future. However, this university offers world-class education through the newest of technology integrated in teaching and research works. This university offers varieties of university programs which includes advanced computing, aeronautical engineering, biomedical, chemical, bimolecular, electrical, software engineering etc.
- The University of Melbourne: the University of Melbourne is widely recognized as one of the best universities in Australia, as an international student if you choose to study engineering in this university you will need to position yourself for a major lead role in solving complex engineering challenges and difficulties. This institution offers a curriculum designed to prepare international students for worldwide engineering challenges. The duration of study starts with a three-year bachelor degree in science, design, or biomedicine as suggested by the university, then the student can choose an engineering systems major afterwards. To become an accredited engineer around the world you can complete a two-year master of engineering in your preferred specialization field. The school’s engineering specializations include biomedical, chemical, civil, structure, electrical, energy, environmental, material, software, mechanical and aerospace engineering.
- Monash university: This university is ranked always among the top 100 universities in the world with its highly valued education and qualifications and wide ranges of study options. This institution equips it students with a global outlook of purpose and the confidence to make a change for the better, at this prestigious university you will be taught exclusively about discovery creativity and challenges in the engineering world. The institution offers some unique engineering programs which includes engineering and arts, engineering and commerce, engineering and computer science, engineering and information technology, engineering and science, laws and engineering etc.
- The University of Western Australia: This university is ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world and recently ranked 33rd in the world when it comes to civil and structural engineering. The faculty of engineering in this institution aim to empower it staffs, students and researchers to impact the world through innovation and innovative developments ideas that will help the future thrive for the better. To become a professionally qualified engineer at this university you should complete five years which includes three-year undergraduate program and a two-year master of professional engineering. Engineering programs being offered at this institution includes civil, chemical, electrical, environmental, mining, mechanical and environmental.
Also Check: How to Study with Fully Funded Scholarships in Australia
Entry Requirements for Studying Engineering in Australia
To get admission in the leading engineering universities in Australia, certain documents and steps are usually required. Below are some of the commonly required;
Documents Required for Admission
- International Passport
- Proof of finance
- Scholarship award
- Proof of English proficiency
- Academic transcripts
- Letter of recommendation
Other Requirements and Considerations
To be admitted for any engineering study programs in Australia, the students must fulfil the following requirements among others;
- Candidates need to complete secondary education with needed certificates
- Applicants must be age 17 years and above
- Applicants score above 60% weighted average in their 12th exams
- Candidates are expected to present proof of English language proficiency. Possessing good score in standardized exams like IELTS and TOEFL (usually IELTS – 6.5 minimum and TOEFL -60 to 90) is usually the best way to go.
NB: Students can get waivers for IELTS or TOEFL if they are able to present alternative proof of proficiency. Refer to our post on Scholarships in Australia for International Students without IELTS/TOEFL and Top Scholarships in Germany Without IELTS | Fully Funded
Scholarships and Funding Programs
International students wishing to study engineering in Australia can take advantages of these scholarships if they meet the eligible criteria. While some of the scholarship programs are fully funded, some might just cover a part of the applicant’s educational costs.
Some of the popular scholarships for studying Engineering in Australia include:
- Australia Awards Scholarships: Awarded to students and professionals from developing nations from the pacific and Africa to study in Australia, the Australia Awards Scholarships are awarded for a two-year master’s study programme or short course cutting across a wide range of disciplines including the Engineering disciplines. It is a fully funded award covering all costs related to the student’s studies in Australia.
- Abdul Kalam international undergraduate scholarship: This scholarship supports most international undergraduate students whose desire is to complete an engineering degree. It covers only 50% of the academic tuition fees for one year.
- University of Sydney Engineering Undergraduate Entry Scholarship: This scholarship is basically awarded to students who wish to commence their undergraduate degree in the faculty of engineering after their secondary education. the scholarship is estimated to be 10,000 AUD and it is paid in two installments. This scholarship is awarded with an unconditional offer of admission
- The Rolf prince engineering scholarships in Australia: this scholarship is duly awarded to international students who wished to pursue an undergraduate degree in chemical engineering. It is valued at 10,000 AUD and valid solely for a year with a two-time installment payment plan.
Explore our comprehensive list of Scholarships in Australia
Studying engineering in Australia should be a great opportunity for international if you have the right requirements and meet the criteria. However, engineering is a very competitive field you must have high score to be considered. Depending on your level of preparation, you can also take advantage of the numerous scholarships to study Engineering in Australia.