Hong Kong Postgraduate Fellowship Award Scheme 2020/2021: Interested in pursuing your higher academic research in Hong Kong? Then you have an opportunity here that you should grab with all urgency. The Research Grants Council (RGC) has since 2009 put together a fellowship program aimed at attracting the best brains in research into their research system. Hong Kong PhD Fellowship is awarded about every year to highly brilliant students of any nationality who is interested to study in any of eight selected universities in Hong Kong and has a good academic records and leadership qualities together with other considerations.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Research Grants Council (RGC).
Scholarships to be taken at: Fellowship can be taken at any of eight selected universities in Hong Kong (see within award general eligibility).
Scholarship Type: Fully Funded Scholarships.
Scholarship level: PhD Study Level
Slots: Not Stated.
Scholarship Worth: Fellows get stipends worth US$39,700 each per year for three year study duration.
Subject Eligibility: All research areas covered by the selected universities.
Country/Candidate Eligibility: International Students from any part of the world and from any background.
English Language Requirement: Not a necessary requirement, but candidates should be able to express themselves in the language of selected research areas.
General Award Eligibility and Selection Criteria: The Hong Kong Postgraduate Fellowship Award Scheme 2020/2021 is subjected to the following eligibility criteria;
- Candidates are accepted from all nationalities, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background.
- Candidates seeking admission as new full time PhD students in the following eight universities should be eligible to apply
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
- Demonstrated outstanding qualities of academic performance, leadership abilities, research ability / potential, and communication and interpersonal skills will contribute to the selection criteria.
Full Benefits of the Fellowship Award:
The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$309,600 (approximately US$39,700) and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$12,900 (approximately US$1,700) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years. 250 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2020/21 academic year*.
For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities. For details, please contact the universities concerned directly.
- Study in China: TBSI Masters and PhD Scholarships for African Students.
- Schwarzman Scholarship Scheme for International Students at Tsinghua University
- Nanyang President’s Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships, 2019/2020
Application Procedures for the Hong Kong Postgraduate Fellowship Award Scheme 2020/2021 for International Students – How-to-Apply:
Eligible and interested candidates should first make an Initial Application online through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number by 2 December 2019 at Hong Kong Time 12:00:00 before submitting applications for PhD admission to their desired universities.
Applicants may choose up to two programmes / departments at one or two universities for PhD study under HKPFS 2020/21. They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programmes.
As the deadlines for applications to some of the universities may immediately follow that of the Initial Application, candidates should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure that they have sufficient time to submit applications to universities.
Visit: Official Scholarship Webpage
Application Deadline: 2 December 2019 (12:00:00 midnight Hong Kong Time).