Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program 2022-2023: Applications are welcomed from qualified candidates for the Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program 2022-2023. The program provides opportunity for university faculty or research institute professionals to conduct research in the fields of expertise in the United States.
The Fulbright Scholar Program is a fully-funded grant that will enable successful applicants to perform high-level research at a U.S. educational institution, aimed at strengthening academic programs or curricula at their home institution.
Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program 2022-2023 | DETAILS
The Fulbright Research Scholar program will afford the successful scholar the opportunity to perform research in their respective fields of endeavors at a U.S. educational or research institutions for a period of three to nine months.
The applicants will have an opportunity to also apply for the Fulbright-Emory Distinguished Chair Scholar Award, funded by the Halle Institute for Global Research where chairholders spend up to four months at Emory University, hosted by appropriate departments and programs.
- Be a South African citizen OR a permanent resident with a minimum of 5 years of permanent residency status in South Africa (Please note: S.A. nationals with dual citizenship from the U.S. are not eligible for the program)
- For Non-Degree (Visiting Student Researcher) studies: Must be registered for a PhD with a South African university
- Have a four-year bachelor’s degree, or a three-year bachelor’s degree plus honors year, or a four-year B-Tech degree when applying for Master’s
- Have a Master’s degree when applying for a Doctoral degree
- Academic excellence
- Required scores for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for each specific field of study
- Clearly written study objectives
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with evidence of cultural sensitivity and a genuine desire to learn more about the United States and share with American citizens aspects of South African culture
- Experience and interest in extracurricular and community activities
- Evidence of leadership potential
- A desire to further the Fulbright Program and give back to your home country upon returning
Fully funded awards generally cover the following, but can vary according to each grantee’s program:
- Travel allowance and transportation from South Africa to the authorized U.S. destination
- Health benefits
- Settling in allowance upon arrival in the U.S.
- Monthly maintenance allowance (to cover living expenses)
- Tuition and fees
- Book and computer allowance
- J-1 visa sponsorship
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program 2022-2023 are to apply online before the application deadline.