The Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program is open for the 2021/2022 application phase. It is open to applicants from AfDB member countries with relevant professional experience and a history of supporting their countries’ development efforts who are applying to a graduate degree program in energy development and related discipline.
Successful candidates for this program will be award scholarships for a two-year postgraduate study in Japan. The scholarship program provides tuition, a monthly living stipend, round-trip airfare, health insurance, and travel allowance.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): AfDB and Japan Government
Scholarship Type: Fully Funded Scholarships
Host Institution(s): Institutions in Japan
Scholarship Worth: Full Funding (Amount Varies)
Number of Awards: Not Stated
Study Level: Postgraduate (Masters)
Nationality: African Students
AfDB Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program 2021/2022 | DETAILS
JADS is a capacity building project by the AfDB and Japan which was initiated in 2017 with the aim of providing two-year scholarship awards to highly achieving African graduate students to enable them to undergo post-graduate studies (i.e. a two-year Master’s degree program) in selected priority development areas on the continent and Japan.
Who Can Apply?
The program is open to those who have gained admission to an approved Masters degree course at a Japanese partner university. Candidates should be 35 years old or younger; in good health; with a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in the energy area or related area; and have a superior academic record.
Broadly speaking, nationals of African countries must:
- Be a national of a AfDB member country;
- Be in good health;
- Hold a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree in the energy area (or related field) earned at least 1 years prior to the application deadline date;
- Have 1 years or more of recent development-related experience after earning a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree;
- Be accepted unconditionally to enroll in the upcoming academic year in at least one of the JADS partner universities for a Master’s degree;
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his or her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- JADS does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of all types of appointments of the African Development Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
- Economy class air travel between your home country and the host university at the start of the study program and immediately following the end of the scholarship period.
- Tuition for a graduate program and the cost of basic medical insurance usually obtained through the university.
- A monthly subsistence allowance to cover living expenses, including books.
- For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for research and thesis preparation.
- How to Apply: Applicant requests for information and application forms and procedures from the chosen JADS partner university. please see list.
- Applicant completes required documents and sends them to the university.
- University evaluates and selects applicants.
- University sends selected candidates to the AfDB.
- AfDB reviews submissions from universities, prepares and approves the final list.
- AfDB contacts selected awardees, and informs the universities.
- Contact Information: please contact JADS@AFDB.ORG for any inquiries.
Application Deadline: 31 August, 2021