Applications are hereby invited from young African Scholars to apply for the Fully-Funded AfDB Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) to study in a partner Japanese University of the applicant’s choice. The JADS scheme was initiated by the Africa Development Bank and the Japanese government to help in the capacity building to deserving African students by providing a two-year scholarship award to graduate students undertake a postgraduate education in important areas of developmental concerns. The scholarship is fully-funded as it provides funds for tuition fees, monthly allowance, round trip, cover for health insurance as well as travel allowance.
The JADS program was initiated in 2017 with the aim of enhancing the skills and human resource capacity development in the African continent. The core areas of interest for the scholarship is in areas related to energy, agriculture, health, environmental sustainability and engineering. The program is also structured to enhance inter-university collaboration as well as university-industry partnerships between Japan and Africa.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): AfDB Japan Africa Dream Scholarship
Scholarship Type: Full Scholarship
Scholarship level: Postgraduate
Scholarship Worth: The worth of the scholarship covers for tuition fees, monthly allowance, round trip, health insurance and travel allowance.
Scholarship Slots: Not stated
Subject Eligibility: Areas related to Energy
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Scholarship is for students from AfDB member country
Scholarship Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
- Applicants who are willing to or have applied and gained admission into a Masters degree course at a partner university in Japan
- Applicants should be 35 years or younger having good health and a Bachelors degree or its equivalent in the energy area
- Applicants with strong academic records are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be willing to return to their country of origin on completion of the study and contribute to his/her country of origin’s economic and social development.
- Applicants are to note that all eligibility criteria are to be followed with no exceptions. The eligibility criteria will not change during the period of open call for applications.
Other Recommended Opportunities:
- African Excellence Fee Waiver Postgraduate Scholarships 2019/2020 at University of Glasgow
- International Students Award at the University of Notre Dame, 2020
- World Bank Group Paid Winter Internship Program 2020 for Young Graduates
Application Procedure for the Fully-Funded AfDB Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) To Study in Japan, 2020
- Applicants are to complete the JADS application form online before the application deadline.
- Applicants are to send supporting documents (University transcripts, certificates, CV, professional references and research proposal) which will be attached together with the application form to the JADS Secretariat for first time screening through JADS@AFDB.ORG.
- Applicants are to know that the JADS Secretariat sends shortlist of applicants to selected Japanese universities.
- The selected universities carry out second screening and share selected students with JADS Secretariat.
- JADS Secretariat recommends successful awardees on the basis of its selection criteria to the Japanese Executive Director for approval.
- AFDB contacts successful awardees and also inform the partner university.
Application Deadline: 31st October, 2019