DAAD In-Country/In-Region Programme Sub-Saharan Africa 2020: Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for the DAAD In-Country/In-Region Programme Sub-Saharan Africa 2020 applicable to students at Masters and PhD study level across the West and Central Africa, Eastern Africa and Southern Africa regions.
The scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa. By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
Scholarship Sponsor(s): DAAD.
Scholarships to be taken at: Scholarships can be taken at home country and within In-region.
Scholarship Type: Full/Partial Funding.
Scholarship level: Masters and PhD
Slots: Not stated.
Scholarship Worth: Not Specified, see scholarship benefits within.
Subject Eligibility: Field of Studies include; Mathematics/Natural Sciences; Medicine; Veterinary Medicine/Agriculture/Forestry/Nutritional Sciences; Engineering; Arts, Music and Sports.
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Sub-Saharan African Students
Apply Also For:
Other Eligibility and Selection Criteria: The eligibility conditions are noted as follows;
- The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa
- A first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme required
- Candidates should be applying to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
The selection process differs between the individual degree programmes. Please see the call for applications for further information.
Scholarship Value and Benefits:
Generally, the scholarship offers:
- Monthly allowance
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Tuition fees
Only applicable for In-Region scholarship holders:
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
Application Procedures for the DAAD In-Country/In-Region Programme Sub-Saharan Africa 2020 – How-to-Apply:
Usually, the application procedure follows a two-step process. First, applicants submit their scholarship application to the host institution. After a pre-selection has been conducted, shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit their application again via the DAAD portal for the final selection.
Calls for Applications and Associated Application Links:
Candidates can use the provided links below to check for eligible programmes and apply based on choice and In-country-wise.
West and Central Africa
- University of Abomey – Calavi (UAC)Faculty of Agronomic Sciences, Subject field: Mathematics (Master, PhD)
as well as
International Chair in Mathematical Physics and Applications (CIPMA), Subject fields: Natural Sciences (Master, PhD)
- International Institute for Water and Environmental Engineering (2iE), Subject field: Engineering (Master, PhD)
- University for Development Studies (UDS), Department of Public Health, Subject field: Medicine – Public Health (Master Phil, Master Sc)
- University of Ghana, Regional Institute for Population Studies (RIPS), Subject field: Humanities / Political Science (Master, PhD)
as well as
West African Center for Crop Improvement (WACCI), University of Ghana, Subject field: Agricultural Sciences (Master, PhD)
- University of Ibadan, Subject fields: Engineering/Agricultural Science (Master Energy Studies, Master Fisheries Management)
- Centre d ‘Etudes Régional pour l’Amélioration de l’Adaptation à la Sécheresse (CERAAS), Subject field: Agricultural Sciences (Master, PhD)
- Addis Ababa University – IPSS, Subject field: Global & Area Studies (PhD)
- Hawassa University – Wondo Genet College of Forestry and Natural Resources (WGCF), Subject field: Agro-Forestry (Master)
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), Subject fields: Information Technology (PhD), Mechanical Engineering (PhD)
- Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), Subject field: Health Management (taught at Strathmore University) (PhD)
- Kenyatta University, Subject fields: Biotechnology (PhD), Environmental Planning (PhD), Renewable Energy (Master)
- Moi University, Subject field: Mathematics (PhD)
as well as
East and South African-German Centre of Excellence for Educational Research Methodologies and Management (CERM-ESA)– Moi University, Subject fields: Education (Master), Sociology of Education (PhD)
- Mount Kenya University, Subject fields: Medical Surgical Nursing (Master), Public Health (Master)
- Strathmore University, Subject fields: Computer Science/IT (PhD), Mathematics (Master, PhD)
- Alzaiem Alazhari University, Subject field: Family Medicine (Master)
- Ardhi University, Subject fields: Built Environment Analysis (PhD), Housing and Settlement Studies (PhD), Urban Planning and Management (PhD)
- Tanzanian-German Centre for East African Legal Studies (TGCL), University of Dar es Salaam, Subject field: Law (Master)
- Busitema University, Subject field: Public Health (Master)
- Makerere University, Subject fields: Environment and Natural Ressource (Master), Plant Breeding (PhD)
- African Economic Research Consortium (AERC), Subject field: Agriculture Economics (PhD)
- International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), Subject field: Insect Science (PhD)
Kindly note that the programmes with DAAD scholarships offered in the region of Southern Africa are currently being revised; the list will be updated as soon as the final decision has been made (approximately March 2020).
- Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR), Subject field: Aquaculture and Fisheries Science (PhD)
- University of Mauritius, open to all development-related subject fields (PhD, Master full-time as well as part-time)
- Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST), Subject fields: Computer Science (Master), Informatics (Master)
South Africa (In-Region scholarships only; In-Country scholarships for South Africa are addressed in a separate call for applications -> daad.de/go/de/stipa10000279)
- African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS), Subject field: Mathematical Sciences (PhD)
- African Paediatric Fellowship Programme (APFP), Subject field: Pediatrics, Medicine (Master)
- Centre for Human Rights (CHR), Subject field: Human Rights (Master, PhD)
- Rhodes University, Subject field: Biochemistry and Microbiology/Science (PhD)
- Stellenbosch University (SUN), Subject field: Economic and Management Sciences (PhD)
- University of South Africa (UNISA), Subject field: Nanosciences (Master, PhD)
- University of Pretoria– Agriculture and Environmental Studies, Subject field: Agriculture and Environmental Studies (Master, PhD)
Application Deadline: Varies.