Students from both Member and Non-Member States CERN are hereby invited to apply and participate in the 2021 CERN Online Summer Student Programme. The online program is for students in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics looking for a training/internship opportunity during the European summer.
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world’s largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter – fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light.
Program Sponsor(s): CERN
Program Type: Online Training
Study level: Bachelor or Masters
Available Slots: Several.
Subject Eligibility: Science and Engineering
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Worldwide eligibility
CERN Online Summer Student Programme 2021 | Details
Take part in CERN Online Summer Student Programme!
Over a period of up to three months, you will work on an advanced technical project as part of an experimental, engineering or computing team. During this unique and exciting time, you can attend a series of online lectures specially prepared for you where experts and scientists from around the world share their knowledge about a wide range of topics in the fields of theoretical and experimental particle physics, engineering and computing.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics and should have completed, by the European Summer 2021, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your online studentship with CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2021 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months and you have not previously been a Summer Student at CERN (please note that exceptionally, students who took part in the 2020 online learning initiative are eligible to apply).
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
- Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Online Summer Student Programme.
CERN would very much like to benefit from your commitment and passion, and in return, CERN will provide you with:
- A contract of association of up to three months to work on a technical project.
- An extensive online physics lecture programme (you will also be able to attend a series of IT lectures organized by CERN openlab).
- A modest stipend ( to be defined)
- Virtual social events for all the participants to create and nurture the community of 2021 Online Summer Students.
- Online workshops
How-to-Apply: If you are eligible and interested, you will need to visit the official website through the link given (below) for detailed application guide and to register your interested.
Document Requirements: You will need the following documents, clearly labelled (e.g. “CV”, “Motivation letter”, “Academic transcript”, etc.) and in PDF format to complete your application:
- A CV in either English or French.
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript giving an overview of your marks (if you download it from your university portal please make sure the document is not protected so that we can open it).
- Two mandatory reference letter, from your lecturers/teachers and/or previous internship supervisors.
Application Deadline: Closed [Await Next Round]