Argelander Scholarships for Doctoral Candidates: Are you a doctoral candidate pursuing a degree at a university or a research institute in Africa, Latin America or Asia? Then the 2021/2022 academic session Argelander Scholarships for Doctoral candidates at the University of Bonn is for you.
The scholarship funding is intended to intensify collaborations between scientists in Bonn and their partners in the above-mentioned regions and expand such collaborations with respect to the promotion of early-career researchers. There should be a formal or informal cooperation agreement between the home institute of the candidate and the host institute in Bonn.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): German Government and University of Bonn
Scholarship to be taken in: Africa, South America and Asia
Scholarship Worth: See Scholarship benefits (below)
Subject Eligibility: Not specified
Country Eligibility: African, South American and Asian Countries
Argelander Scholarships for Doctoral Candidates | ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
To be eligible for the Argelander Scholarships for Doctoral Candidates:
- Applicants must be doctoral candidates pursuing a doctoral degree at a university or a research institute in Africa, Latin America or Asia.
- Recipients of the scholarship should acknowledge that they will finish their doctorates at their home university.
- Applicants must demonstrate excellent research and academic abilities to complete a doctoral study.
selection criteria includes:
- The quality of the research project to be pursued as part of the doctoral studies during the candidate’s stay in Bonn.
- The intensity of the existing cooperation or its potential for future growth between the applicant and the home institution of the doctoral candidate.
- The integration of the doctoral candidate into an existing research environment in Bonn.
- An effective supervision blueprint under the cooperation agreement.
- A travel allowance.
- A scholarship of €1,500 per month (additional funds for accompanying family members: up to €300 for a spouse and €250 per child).
- A research expense allowance of up to €300 per month.
How-to-Apply: The application for the Argelander Scholarships must be submitted by a full-time professor from the University of Bonn. The doctoral candidates must submit a signed motivational letter. Submit application form online before the application deadline.
- Online form
- Project description (PDF of max. 8 pages), consisting of:
- An outline of the research project to be worked on during the person’s stay in Bonn
- Reasons for the host to invite the doctoral candidate
- An outline of how the doctoral candidate will be integrated at the host institute (place of work, participation in the institute’s teaching and research activities), and an outline of how the project will be supervised in Bonn
- CV and motivational letter of the doctoral candidate (PDF)
- A financing plan (please use the following Excel table, download here)
Application Deadline: May 31, 2021