2021/22 University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program: The University of Michigan hereby announces the commencement of the 2021/2022 cohort of the University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars (UMAPS) Program for African scholars. The UMAPS program hosts two cohorts annually with one application round for both cohorts.
Current application cycle indicates that UMAPS program accepts direct applications from faculty members of colleges or universities from a limited number of African countries. The program aims to support research in the fields of agriculture, environment, tourism, or technology.
Program Sponsor(s): University of Michigan
Program to be taken at: USA
Program level: Early career
Program Worth: Not specified
Subject Eligibility: Agriculture, Environment, Tourism, Technology
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Africans
You may also like: Montana State University MSU Presidential Scholarship in USA( Fully funded)
Program Eligibility and Selection Criteria: To be considered for the 2021/22 University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program, applicants are to meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be early career faculty member who has taught in the higher education system for less than ten years, and who is presently teaching in a college or university in Africa.
- Applicants must demonstrate support from home institution with letter of recommendation from head of department, dean, or vice chancellor.
- Applicants must be able to remain in residence for five months.
- Applicants must be willing to abide by the rules governing the conducts of fellows at the university.
How to be nominated for the program
Nomination is required for applicants from outside Ghana, South Africa, or Kenya, and needs to be completed by a U-M faculty member familiar with the work of the prospective applicant. The nominating faculty must:
- Complete the online nomination form (for University of Michigan faculty only and access requires U-M login)
- Submit /upload a letter of endorsement that indicates their willingness to serve as a mentor during the length of the residency, commit to meet regularly, and if possible provide an office space for the prospective participant
As soon as the complete nomination form and letter of support is received, the nominated candidate will be sent an email invitation with a link to the application portal for nominated applicants; please do not use the regular application portal.
Application Procedures for the 2021/22 University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program
Applicants are to complete the online application form before the application deadline.
Complete the online application form » (IN THIS APPLICATION CYCLE, the link can only be used by applicants from the following countries: Ghana, South Africa, or Kenya).
- Upload a curriculum vitae using the online application
- Upload a scholarly program/research proposal(not to exceed five pages). Applications from a wide range of disciplines and schools are welcome; applications that align with the center’s disciplinary initiatives
- Provide complete name and contact information of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support
Application Deadline: 15th October, 2020