2020 Africa Research Excellence Fund Fellowship Programme: Applications are invited from qualified and eligible African researchers to apply for the Africa Research Excellence Fund (AREF) Research Development Fellowship programme being instituted to support researchers in Africa who are working on important human health challenges in Africa. The programme seeks to provide support to African researchers who are emerging leaders working on several health challenges to develop their skills as modern day researchers.
The fellowship programme is a three to nine-month placement offer at a foremost research institution in Africa or Europe. It will also provide the researchers additional support at their home organization before and after placement, up to a maximum of £38,000. Applicants are encouraged to key into the opportunity and apply before the application deadline.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): Africa Research Excellence Fund
Fellowship to be taken at: Africa and Europe
Fellowship level: Post-doctoral
Fellowship Worth: £38,000
Subject Eligibility: Courses related to Health
Country/Candidate Eligibility: The fellowship is for African researchers
You may also like: Call for Application: 2020 African Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowship
Fellowship Eligibility and Selection Criteria: To be considered for the 2020 Africa Research Excellence Fund Fellowship Programme, applicants are to meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be a national of a country in Sub-Saharan Africa who is resident in Africa at the time of applying.
- Applicants should obtain support from an African institution that meets the eligibility criteria for an employing institution and which attests that it intends to employ you locally.
- Applicants who are non-clinicians must possess a PhD qualification within the last six years or equivalent postgraduate degree from a recognized institution of higher education after May 2014. If you do not currently have a PhD, you must provide evidence that a recognized examining institution expects you to have been examined for the degree of PhD/DPh by September, 2020.
- Applicants who are clinicians must be clinically-qualified applicants with a PhD/DPh/MD should have been awarded the doctorate from a recognized institution of higher learning after May 2014. However, clinically-qualified applicants without a doctorate may apply. They must have been awarded a research-relevant Master’s degree and should also have at least two and not more than seven years of active research experience.
- Applicants must ensure that their Employing and Intended Host Organizations (the sponsors) understand the purposes of the AREF Fellowship, how AREF will pay the organizations and what their obligations are if they accept an award.
- Canon Collins RMTF Postgraduate Scholarships for Africans 2020
- Postdoctoral Fellowships for International Students at Princeton University 2020
Application Procedures for the 2020 Africa Research Excellence Fund Fellowship Programme
- A completed Application Form as a PDF, signed by the applicant and named administrative authority at both the Host Organization and Employing Organization.
- A letter of support from the Host Sponsor and Employing Sponsor-a named senior scientist with the authority of the HO Research management or Finance Office to sign on the Application Form on the organization’s behalf.
- Two chosen publications to demonstrate the applicant’s career history.
- An electronic copy of the candidate’s most recently attained degree certificate, usually the PhD certificate.
- The Cost & Finance Plan, as an Excel spreadsheet.
- The signature sheet, as a word document.
Applicants are to submit their application and supporting documents before the application deadline to Fellowships.AREF@aref-africa.org.uk
Application Deadline: 12:00 hours (GMT) on 23rd September, 2020