With a starting salary of CHF 3,500 monthly (approximate), the World Trade Organization Young Professionals Programme is a limited programme that offers selected young professionals with the opportunity to gain work experience in the WTO. The Secretariat of the WTO is seeking candidates for the Young Professionals Programme for 2022.
The WTO Young Professionals Programme (YPP) is a unique opportunity for qualified young professionals up to the age of 32 years, as at 1 January 2022, from eligible developing and least-developed country (LDC) WTO Members, to enhance their knowledge and skills on WTO and international trade issues
Company/Organisation: World Trade Organization (WTO)
Program Type: Young Professional Program (YPP)
Program Location: WTO Secretariat (various divisions)
Program Duration: One year
Available Slots: Not specified
Basic Qualifications: University Graduates
Nationality: developing and least-developed countries (LDC) WTO Members
World Trade Organization Young Professionals Programme 2022 | General Functions
The selected Young Professional will be placed in a specific Division of the WTO Secretariat in accordance with the needs and priorities of the Organization; and based on the identified areas of interest of the Young Professional. Each Young Professional may express interest in not more than three areas of WTO work; and in order of preference.
The areas of work may include, inter alia, the following (in alphabetical order):
- Council and Trade Negotiations
- Dispute Settlement
- Economic Research and Statistics
- Government Procurement
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Market Access (tariffs and non-tariff barriers)
- Media and External Relations
- Sanitary and Phytosanitary measures
- Technical Barriers to Trade
- Trade and Development
- Trade and Environment
- Trade Facilitation
- Trade and Gender
- Trade in Services and Investment
- Trade Policy Analysis
- Trade-Related Technical Assistance.
- Trade Remedies (anti-dumping and countervailing duties)
- Education: Advanced university degree in law, economics, or other international trade-related subjects relevant to the work of the WTO.
- Knowledge and skills: General knowledge of the work of the WTO; Good drafting skills in English; Ability to draft in French and/or Spanish would be an advantage; Ability to work independently and as part of a team, in a multicultural environment; Demonstrated strong interest in international trade and the multilateral trading system; Commitment and passion for trade or WTO-related work.
- Work Experience: Minimum two (2) years of professional experience relevant to the work of the WTO.
- Languages: Fluency in English; A good working knowledge either French or Spanish would be an advantage.
- Eligible Countries: Only applications from nationals of WTO Members will be accepted: – Angola, Barbados, Botswana, Brunei Darussalam, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Moldova, Myanmar, Niger, Qatar, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Suriname, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Vanuatu, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zambia.
Applicants must submit their applications through the e-recruitment system along with their cover letter of motivation. Instructions to add the cover letter is as follows:
- Once the application for the Young Professionals Programme has been submitted, their application will be displayed under the “My Applications” tab.
- Applicants should click on the button “Add” for the specific vacancy under the “Covering letter” column.
- Cover letters added in other sections of the applicant profile such as “Additional Information” or “Additional Documents”.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply to this Programme.
Application Deadline: 29 April 2021