The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India in collaboration with UNESCO-TWAS are offering TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme for foreign scholars from developing countries, who wish to pursue research toward a PhD in emerging areas of science and technology.
TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India for a maximum period of four years. Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country, or may enrol in a PhD course at any University in India.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): TWAS-CSIR, India
Host Institution(s): CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India
Scholarship Worth: Fully-funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: Developing countries
TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme | DETAILS
Eligible CSIR institutions: Information on CSIR laboratories and institutes can be obtained by following the links here: https://www.csir.res.in/about-us/csir-network-map. Alternatively, a list of eligible institutes is available here. SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country). The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period to be decided by the host institute, but no greater than 3 years.
FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those not registered for a PhD): The Fellowship may be granted for up to a maximum duration of 4 years.
Applicants for TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Applicants must be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Applicants must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s degree in science and technology.
- Be regularly employed in their home country and hold a research assignment there.
- SANDWICH Fellowships: Be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships: Be willing to register at a university in India within the first year, if agreed to by CSIR.
- Be accepted at a CSIR laboratory/institution and provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (see sample Acceptance Letter that can be downloaded below or included in the Application Form). NB: Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen CSIR host institution(s), with copy to the CSIR contact person. This will allow CSIR to monitor requests and offer support or assistance in finding suitable host institution(s), if necessary;
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- The language of instruction for foreign scholars in CSIR laboratories/institutes is English.
Applicants for TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Program will receive the following benefits:
- CSIR will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs
- Food and
- Health insurance
- The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, Fellowship awardees are entitled to subsidized accommodation.
How-to-Apply: If already registered for a PhD in their home country, applicants should ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the HOME university signs a copy of the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” (see sample included in the Application Form), a copy of which should be sent to both CSIR and TWAS.
- Applicants should submit the acceptance letter from a CSIR institution to CSIR and TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal and copy of the submitted application must be sent to CSIR by email. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available below for download.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
Application Deadline: September 15, 2023