Miles Morland Foundation Writing Scholarship for Africans 2020: The Miles Morland Foundation (MMF) is pleased to announce its award of a number of Morland Writing Scholarship for writers with the aim of allowing each scholar the time to produce the first draft of a completed book. The scholarship is open to everyone writing in the English language who was born in Africa, or both of whose parents were born in Africa.
The scholarships are meant for full length works of adult fiction or non-fiction. Poetry, plays, film scripts, children’s books and short story collections do not qualify. Scholars writing fiction will receive a grant of £18,000, paid monthly over the course of twelve months. At the discretion of the Foundation, Scholars writing non-fiction, who require additional time for research, could receive an additional grant, paid over a period of up to eighteen months.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Miles Morland Foundation (MMF)
Scholarship to be taken at: Africa
Scholarship level: Any level
Scholarship Worth: £18,000
Subject Eligibility: Writing in English language
Country/Candidate Eligibility: The scholarship is for African writers.
You may also like: 2020 Miles Morland Foundation Scholarship for Africans
Scholarship Eligibility and Selection Criteria: To be considered for the Miles Morland Foundation Writing Scholarship for Africans 2020, applicants are to meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be writers who are citizens of an African country.
- Applicants must submit full length of works of adult fiction or non-fiction. Poetry, plays, film scripts, children’s books and short story collections do not qualify.
- Applicants must be ready to submit a description of between 400-1,000 words of the work they intend to write. The proposal must be full length book of no fewer than 80,000 words. The MMF does not accept proposals for collaborative writing or short story collections. The proposal should be for a completely new work, not a work in progress and must be in English.
- Applicants are to write about themselves and their background in 200-300 words. People who reach the shortlist will be asked for further information about themselves and how they propose to write their book.
Application Procedures for the Miles Morland Foundation Writing Scholarship for Africans 2020
Applicants are to submit an excerpt from a piece of work between 2,000-5,000 words, written in English that has been published and offered for sale. The work will be evaluated by a panel of readers and judges set up by the MMF. The work will be judged purely on merit. It is not the purpose of the Scholarships to support academic or scientific research, or works of special interest such as religious or political writings. Submissions or proposals of that nature do not qualify.
- International Leadership Scholarship at Bond University in Australia
- 2020 Africa Research Excellence Fund Fellowship Programme
Applicants are to include the following in their submissions:
- A submission of between 2,000 to 5,000 words as a word document of work that has been published and offered for sale. Please send proof of publication.
- A description of between 400-1,000 words about the new book you intend to write.
- A scan of an official document showing that you, or both of your parents, were born in Africa.
- A brief bio of between 200-300 words.
- Please include how you heard about the Morland Writing Scholarships.
Application Deadline: 18th September, 2020