Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for the 2018/2019 Young Leaders Access Program at MCW Global. This program is aimed at participants within the age range of 18-26years who are prepared to fill into leadership capacity in their communities.
Program Sponsor(s): MCW Global.
Scholarship Type: volunteerism
Program level: Access
Slots: Not specified
About Company (Sponsor)
MCW Global is a non-profit organization with a vision for communities around the world to achieve greater levels of education, improved health, and increased economic security. Our mission is to address communities’ pressing needs by empowering current leaders and readying leaders of tomorrow. Founded in 1999, MCW Global is based in New York with partner organizations in Africa (Rwanda, Tanzania and Zambia). MCW offers Young Leaders, Community Development, and Oral Health Care programs
The program is divided into Three phases as follows
Phase 1: Summer Retreat (This phase will last for 10 days)
The Program begins with an intensive summer retreat that facilitates leadership development, a deep understanding of global citizenship, and how to implement a project from beginning to end. The retreat is held in late July/early August in Burlington, Vermont and New York City, New York. In addition to working alongside MCW Global team members, alumni mentors, and volunteers, participants will also hear from a range of experts from academia, civil society, development, and the public and private sectors about their own community-action projects.
Phase 2: Vision Planning: Project Development (This phase lasts for 12months)
Participants come to the Program with an idea of a community issue they want to address through the process of vision planning, which aims to transform passion into a tangible plan for change. During this process, participants will be able to put their local issues into a larger global context while exploring why they are in a unique position to make change happen. Participants will also determine which tools they need to apply to the plan, in order to make it actionable. After the retreat, Young Leaders are expected to further develop and/or implement their plan in collaboration with their alumni mentors.
Phase 3: Alumni Mentorship and On-going Support (This phase last for 12months)
To further develop and execute their vision plans, Young Leaders are paired with alumni mentors, who guide them at the retreat toward creating an actionable plan. During the year, alumni mentors support participants by facilitating quarterly “hangouts” and ongoing remote communication. Alumni mentors undergo customized training prior to the start of the program in order to support team building and cultural competency.
Candidate’s Eligibility for the 2019 Young Leaders Access Program:
To be eligible for the program, Young Leaders should:
- Demonstrate commitment to their community
- Identify an issue in their community to address
- Be between the ages of 18-26
- Be fluent in written and spoken English
- Commit to attending the 10-day retreat and spending the following year aiming to execute their community project
- Be eligible for appropriate visa and travel documentation
- Have access to email and Internet to allow for consistent communication with the MCW Global Team and Young Leaders Program alumni-mentor for the duration of the year-long program
- Adhere to Young Leaders Access Program graduation guidelines (to be provided upon acceptance to the program)
- Submit a completed application on or before January 2, 2019
Program Schedules for the 2019 Young Leaders Access Program:
- November 15, 2018: Young Leaders Access Program application opens
- January 2, 2019: Young Leaders Access Program application closes
- February 1, 2019: First round decisions sent out; short list candidates notified; second round application opens
- February 22, 2019: Second round application closes
- March 1-29, 2019: Interviews with Alumni
- April 1, 2019: Acceptances sent out
- May 3, 2019: Confirmation of acceptance with visa interview date and deposit
- July 23, 2019: August 1, 2019 : Young Leaders Access Retreat
- August 2, 2019 – July 22, 2020: Young Leaders Access Program duration
Application Procedure for the 2019 Young Leaders Access Program:
The application must be filled out in English. All letters of recommendation and your resume need to be prepared in English. Any parts of the application that are not in English will not be read and the application will be considered incomplete.
The application includes:
- General information
- Essay questions
- Identify an issue in your community that concerns you. How would you address this issue?
- Describe one time you have faced a challenge and used a leadership skill to come up with a solution.
- Your resume should not be more than 1 page. We suggest that it be prepared in Times New Roman, 12 font, with 1-inch margins.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Your letters should come from people who know your work ethic and commitment to your community. Friends and family members are discouraged from writing the letters of recommendation.
- Recommenders should state their name, position, and relationship to the applicant at the top of the letter.
- The letter should be on official letterhead, signed and dated.
- Liability waiver
- At the end of the application, please review the terms and conditions.
To get more details and apply for the program use the links provided.